1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sapper, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sapper

Sapper Active Member

My little sister is really sick tonight, anxiety.. night terrors, crying and puking.. I'm with her as my parents are away. I know my dad had a thread about this a while back but I can't seem to find it. Any suggestions? I'm just sitting up with her, not sure what else to do if anything.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. hollyberry

hollyberry Active Member

do you know that you can clic on his username and it will bring up items he's written

4. Sapper

Sapper Active Member

Yeah I know that but he has over 500 posts and I looked already. This is an old thread. Probably won't help anyhow. Just hoping for something. I feel kind of clueless.

5. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

That's good advice, HollyBerry!
    Just tell her that we are all thinking of her, Sap. I know she is grateful that you are with her. Will she sip on some electrolyte powdered stuff in water so that she doesn't dehydrate? Find her blanket that she sleeps with. I know that putting your knees up can stop you from throwing up, if she feels like sitting that way, but you know, let her do what she wants to do. She may be in pain if she puts her knees up like that. You and Evie have an extended family here, online!

2quilt

6. hollyberry

hollyberry Active Member

sorry I'm not much help. I'm new to the forum.

7. Sapper

Sapper Active Member

Sorry didn't mean to be rude. Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. If I wasn't so damn lazy I could go through all of Dad's posts! (; Geez though I'm still trying to wrap my head around how chatting can make her so ill. She has been getting triggered a lot though in the past 2 weeks. Guess she shouldn't have been in the chat today. PTSD sucks.

8. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Sap, you are not lazy by not wanting to read 400 posts!
    Chatting did not make her ill, it was that multiple people contacted her at the same time that, I think, pushed her buttons today.

It's late and we are all tired. I am going to bed. Good luck with Evie tonight, Sap.
    I will read this thread tomorrow. tell us how she is.

9. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Sapper, by coincidence I was just reading through some of the threads in the Information section of the forum under Carers. Your mom has written some about dealing with crisis, for example:

- [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread5503.html[/DLMURL]

- [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread5497.html[/DLMURL]

I hope this helps. I'm not recalling a thread your father wrote, though perhaps that was before I was here.

Personally, when I feel like that sometimes, well, a lot of times, I want to be alone (cause I don't to drag my husband down), but I also know it's important to not be totally alone, to feel his presence, and know he's there. It helps me if he calmly but attentively lets me know he's concerned, is there if I want to talk, hold me if I want, ask me if there's anything he can get me. And if I do insist on being alone, I feel safe when he checks on me every 20-30 minutes or so. Of course, we're all individuals. I don't know if any of this would help Evie. But you might ask her.

Also, for the sake of your own well-being, remember that you can't fix this and make it go away. I know that just your being there is making a world of difference for Evie.

Hang in there, Sapper. I know how tough these times are. Sending you both my love.

10. kers

kers I'm a VIP

Sitting with her will help, I suspect. Also reminding her that your parents will be back at the end of the weekend. Having both of them away at once, on top of everything else, is probably just straining her.

Keep the lights on, and as long as she's awake, I think talking in a quiet, soothing voice is really helpful. I never remember what people say when I'm in the middle of a meltdown, but their voice is really important in helping me calm down. It's the connection that can help her through this--knowing that someone safe is there even while she's in a rotten place.

You're a good brother.

11. Sapper

Sapper Active Member

Thanks again, great suggestions.. going to try some tonight if I need to.. I'm beat and turning the computer off. Not sure I'll be able to come back on tomorrow morning, but my parents will be back home by noon. I'm sure they'll update anyone who wants. They make this look so damn easy. I think Evie's okay for a while.. maybe she'll sleep soon. I remembered the original Star Trek calms her so I set the DVD player by her bed. She's hanging with Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock now..

12. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

I'm glad to hear things have calmed down. Also glad your folks will be home that early tomorrow. Sounds like you did just great, Sapper.

13. Nicolette

Nicolette ♡ Supporter Admin ♡ Supporter Admin Sponsor $100+

You're doing a great job Travis... just being there must help :)