• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Supplemental Help For Ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have C-PTSD & I am also into holistic health. I was taking my supplements faithfully but over a period of a few months I started to feel very badly w/ so many symptoms that I was not feeling before! There was quite a list of them which came to about 25 symptoms! It was really scary & I cried & asked the Lord to help me find the answer & it became clear to me that I cannot stop taking my adrenal cortex supplement! Usually professionals do not address the importance of taking care of your adrenal glands & how they ar weak, depleted, fatigued from the stresses of life PTSD. I hope this will help someone. There's plenty to check out online about it. Also, Dr. Wright's Tahoma Clinic has some good articles re: the adrenals & taking lithium orotate (not a prescription) to help us.

Hi Christina,

I suffer from PTSD and actively try to avoid taking any medications like yourself since I believe in the holistic approach to treatment. I was wondering what sorts of supplements you were taking other than lithium orotate. I have only been trying to supplement my healing with behavioral therapy, but beyond that have not looked into supplements yet. I usually try to address each issue individually: for example, when I notice my mood is swinging more than usual, I know that some good ways to balance that are with whole wheat and calcium, so I add it in my diet naturally (i.e. eating more plain yogurt, or eating whole wheat pasta instead of regular pasta).

I'm curious to know what supplements can address some of the symptoms of PTSD, as you mentioned above.

Thanks,
snappy_turtle

You may want to ask for this to be moved to the sufferer section as you're a sufferer and this post is aimed toward sufferers. (You'll get more replies that way)

I'm also wondering what supplements you take. I just started taking Maca root and I LOVE it. I feel a bit jittery, but the mood stabilization has been nothing more than miraculous. I bumped up an old post about it but nobody else seems to be taking it. Of course, this is in addition to other supplements.

My therapist is ordering bloodwork for me to test my adrenals so we can see how badly they've crapped out on me! Of course, that will determine what supplements she advises for me. (She's a psychologist and registered nurse).

Hi there,
I wrote you a whole post but it won't post even though I have no email addresses or website addresess. Not sure how to reach you.

To snappy_ turtle, I have the info for you but I couldn't post it... have any suggestions as to how to reach you. Christina Rose

To ScaredofLonely,
Good to hear from you. After you have your adrenals checked, I'm sure you will be advised. I take adrenal cortex 500 mg 2 times a day w/ food along w/ licorice & pituitary. I did take Maca for awhile & it was ok but I gained an appetite from it at the time. I don't know how it would work on me now though.

So good to hear from you, fellow traveler. The supplement is ADRENAL CORTEX...I take 500 mg. w/ a meal in the AM or a middle of the day meal & 500 mg. w/ my supper meal. This seems right for me & what I found online for dosage, you of course, can decide what to do after your research. I also take the MULTI-GLAND supplement for women & the LICORICE capsules ...all of these support the adrenals, but without the ADRENAL CORTEX, I'm sunk & I think it is the key even if someone is taking other supplements at the time. The PITUITARY along w/ the ADRENAL CORTEX gives it more power as well.

I also take natural supplements for my brain/memory but I can tell you that none of the other supplements take the place or do the job of the ADRENAL CORTEX. It's just like if someone has a thyroid problem & they are taking good supplements but there's no real change in the thyroid, then taking ARMOUR THYROID is a good choice. Jasmin Cori's book Healing from Trauma has really blessed me & especially, Michele Rosenthal & Dr. Ochberg is also also helpful & any videos from these people on youtube.

Oh, btw, wheat products are the worse thing to eat! They have 50% more gluten than many years ago & gluten causes health problems. You might enjoy Mike Adams in your email to keep you up-to-date on health matters or Dr. Mercola. Consider gluten-free pasta & bread (UDI's is a good brand for the bread)
Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, Christina! I'll start looking into these immediately. My mother is a nutritionist, so I'll be sure to check with her about recommended amounts to take a day. If I come across natural foods that contain these vitamins and minerals, I'll be sure to keep you posted!

No appetite increase with the Maca root so far. My acne went a bit crazy but now is settling down. It makes me feel SO much better, so I'll probably put up with minor side effects! And so far I'm on a small dose. Maybe I'll get lucky and won't have to bump it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back