• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Support Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

fayfair

New Here
My therapist suggested going to Al-anon meetings so I can talk to people who've also felt isolated and grew up in dysfunctional families. My dad is borderline schizophrenic and left when I was a kid. He's been homeless most of my life, rejecting help from anyone.

I've looked into meetings, but I'm scared to go. I still battle with agoraphobia. The thought of going somewhere new scares me. I'm also a little jumpy around men.

Does posting online kind of take the place of a support group? I think it might...but I kind of feel like a coward for not facing my fear.

I have been wanting to go for 20+ years but haven't had the nerve to walk into one by myself yet. I see on tv how you have to talk and I would just absolutey die. I know that isn't any help but it is why I have not been able to go yet. I really want to go to some different support groups.

I did a rape support group years ago, but never talked and didn't have to and benefited so much from it.

I feel like a coward also but try to blame it on my ptsd/anxiety of people/new places.

Fayfair,

Don't feel like a coward! I completely understand. I have bad panic attacks whenever I have to leave the house and if men get within 5 feet of me, my anxiety kicks in to overdrive.
I don't think this forum could really take the place of a support group. I mean there is a ton of support here, we help/support each other and you can slowly (when you're ready) tell us your story. But I think a support group in person is much different.
Maybe spend sometime here and when you're ready, join a support group. We're here to help you the whole way. It's good to have both.
Could you maybe bring a friend with you to the support group? Possibly a pet or a stuffed animal? Something that makes you feel grounded or comfortable?

Manic

Thanks Manic.

My boyfriend would go with me, but he gets so uncomfortable when I mention what happened... Most of my other friends are really acquaintances and I wouldn't feel comfortable mentioning it to them. I do have a stuffed animal I love, but I think I'd feel too silly with it.

I'll make it there one day; I kind of want to wrap my mind around what happened a little more...

Dear fayfair,

I have gone to Al Anon for about 3+ years, have been aware of it all my life however.

All groups are different, but this you can know:
-the people there are usually experiencing concern over drinking in a relative or friend
-you can bring anyone you want
-it is totally anonymous
-you do not have to talk
- the people are kind and friendly, usually 'let you be' (my experience)
-the majority of the members are women, more than men
-for the most part, a meeting does not consist (in content) of everyone pouring their heart/ stories out. It has more of a focus on being honest, determining what you can do to lead/ enjoy a healthy, happy life yourself (eg. establishing boundaries, etc), and an environment of honesty, kindness and respect.

That being said, my 'feet' took me there the first time.

You can also just talk to someone anonymously over the phone, or to one member after/ between meetings (if and when you want).

Best wishes to you.

Meg :Hug_emoticon:

Fayfair,

Not sure if your boyfriend is open to researching by what you say about his feeling uncomfortable. But, my being on this forum helps me understand. Or try to understand. LOL. There are books specifically for partners of those with PTSD. They are not an easy read, however.

As you probably know, it is hard for him too. I mean, I would never compare it to what a sufferer has experienced but the avoidance some partners express is, I feel, a symptom of the difficulty dealing with the reality of what happened to someone you love. At least part of it anyway.

The books I speak of are not listed here. At least the last time I looked. They do not paint a rosey picture but help explain some of the reasons behind what a partner sees in their sufferer. Made me cry actually. But that resource is out there. And they DO offer specific suggestions about things to do and things NOT to do.

Sometimes I lose track of where I have posted and don't check back on threads so PM if you want the names of the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back