1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking Medication for PTSD

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by ladybug08, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ladybug08

ladybug08 Active Member

I was just wondering...I know there was a poll conducted for who takes and who does not medication for PTSD, but how many of you just stick with diet and exercise for PTSD? I do not take medications for PTSD, but I do exercise and find that it helps a lot. I use to take Zoloft for depression and anxiety pre -PTSD diagnosis, and I did not like how it made me feel (felt like I was in a fog), gained a lot of weight. I am not a 100% sure, but I also have a pituitary tumor from possibly taking a SSRI (Zoloft), so I am afraid to take medication for the times I may need to take something for depression and anxiety. Any suggestions?

2. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Wis I had some magic answer for you, but I don't. All I am sure of is that I would not be here on this earth without my Zoloft and Xanax. These medications have saved my life.

I hope some here is able to help you

3. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

HI Ladybug,

I just got off all meds about 8 months ago. I have good days and bad. I do exercise when I can(when I'm not sick which lately has bee alot) I also eat healthy and try to limit sugar and white stuff from my diet. I do feel better when I do.

Sorry about the Pituitary tumor. Why do you think it was caused from Zoloft??? Do you know what type of tumor it is???? I ask because I know a 4 yr old that just had one removed over Christmas. She is fine now, but they are keeping an eye on things.

Hang in there.

4. spiritofnow

spiritofnow Well-Known Member

Hey Ladybug,

I have an absolute fear of taking prescribed medications and so I don't take them.
    I excercise, eat well (most of the time), sleep is important but I have been crap lately at going to bed at a reasonable hour.

I have tried Bach resuce remedy for anxiety and I use lots of aromatherapy oils; lavender to calm and aid sleep, citrus for concentration etc etc.

However, I would say that you should seek medical advice as to taking prescribed drugs and then make a balanced choice.

Hope that may help.

Spirit x

5. Seeking_Nirvana

Seeking_Nirvana I'm a VIP

I take medication. I couldn't live without Valium because of all the panic attacks I have. I'm currently off of the anti depressants because I want to deal with my trauma and face it while not having that numb feeling that they cause. When I get real mean and moody I will start back on them until I feel better and then quit again. (I do that for my the sake of my family)

I take Adderall for ADD, but I don't have to have it. I would probably never leave the house though.

Tammy

6. Cecilia

Cecilia Active Member

I exercise three times a week and take Yoga one night a week, but I still use medication. Without the medication, I'm not sure I would ever make it to the gym.

7. linasmom

linasmom Well-Known Member

I don't know what I would do without the Xanax for my panic attacks - probably manifest my own death. :think:

But if you are doing well without taking meds for your symptoms, then that is great.

Best,
    Rachel

8. ladybug08

ladybug08 Active Member

She Cat -

They are not sure what causes pituitary tumors, SSRIs is considered a possible cause. I did not have any problems pre-Zoloft. Dairy products is also a possible cause. The tumors are benign, I stopped having my monthly cycle, I am regular, and milk leaked from my breasts. My baby is 16 yrs old. They took a blood sample and tested my hormones, my prolatin level was high, I had a MRI, and the tumor was the 0.7 cm. in size.

9. nic

nic Well-Known Member

When I posted the poll on meds., I didn't expect to find that many of you don't take ANY. I HATE taking medication, but I can't function without it. I have cut down, though, but I haven't been doing so well lately. I do have a healthy diet and I (try) to exercise as much possible, but sometimes I am (almost) paralyzed by the anxiety. Doctors always try to get me to take more meds, (or get me to take the ones I'm supposed to be taking), but I just don't WANT to. I don't really know why. Maybe I just hate the multiple bottles piled up in my medicine cabinet, or I feel like crap when I have to list so many meds on medical forms and such. I originally tried going off some of the meds to see if I would be able to since I would like to get pregnant in the near future. I would REALLY like to be able to function without any. I've tried various relaxation and meditation techniques, but they don't work for me.

10. upstream

upstream Well-Known Member

nic, you may not have needed some of the medications to begin with, but often times these drugs can be addicting. A family member of mine started shaking when he went off Paxil... he chose to deal with it by working out heavily everyday and eventually overcame the withdrawal effects.

A former Pharmaceutical sales rep talks about withdrawal symptoms and the dangers of going on more meds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AazObF_pHSU
    (I'm hooked on this youtube channel, by the way)

I agree with your sentiment of wanting to function without having to take medication. I can't stand feeling like I'm dependent on those things. I'm surprised I let anyone talk me into going back on them, even if it was only for a few weeks.

Have you tried exercise? I'm told there are a number of studies that show that exercise is much more effective for depression than anti-depressants. It has been effective for me, the only exceptions were when I was too depressed to motivate myself to work out in the first place.

"The Influence of Exercise on Mental Health"
    http://www.fitness.gov/mentalhealth.htm

11. nic

nic Well-Known Member

Hey UpStream,

You don't have to tell ME about withdrawal from Paxil...I was sooooo sick that that in iteslf was traumatizing! (LOL) No, but really, I felt like I was on a really bad trip or something.

I do exercise; I try to do a half hour every day. I am curious, though, about the statement you made that SSRIs aren't anymore effective than a sugar pill. I have tried MANY SSRIs. I have to admit, some have helped, but I hate being on them do to the side effects.

Maybe I should take SOMA; heck, it worked for the people in Brave New World :)

nic

12. spiritofnow

spiritofnow Well-Known Member

Not taking meds

I look at the side effects and think that although life can be torturous at times, especially when anxiety attacks are frequent, at least I know how this feels. I am scared of feeling more out of control than I already do at times.

I guess I have the opinion now that as I am in therapy I should be experiencing all that I do in order to allow it out! I have supressed enough!

I only have one child and no partner so maybe I can afford to take this approach? Medication just scares me - having a foreign body inside of me that takes my control away. ( Hmmmmm, I can see something in what I just wrote).

Spirit x

13. upstream

Study:
    http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pmed.0050045

Commentary:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqJhWG1aSVQ

Hope that clarifies... what is SOMA?

14. nic

nic Well-Known Member

Um...read the book...it's...um...interesting :)

15. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Upstream,

In my world SOMA is a drug. A muscle relaxant, very powerful, and it makes me feel like gumby.......LOL!!!!!! I take it when I have a flare of Fibromyalgia.

16. nic

nic Well-Known Member

It's actually pretty similar in Brave New World. It's their "happy pill," so to speak.

nic :)

17. upstream

Wikipedia tells me that SOMA is a fictional hallucinogenic drug in the year 2540, used to escape pain and bad memories by creating fantasies. The concept reminds me of an air freshener; rather than get rid of the bad smell lets cover it up with a good smell so we don't notice the foul oder... not my kind of drug but certainly sounds like a fun experience.

The book's concept reminds me strongly of the movie Equilibrium... regulated government stimulation combined with the death of societal inventions such as art, religion, and culture. Sounds like a good read, though not sure why Henry Ford is idolized by the population?

Soma is also a smashing pumpkins song and the trade name for She Cat's muscle relaxant... fun.

18. baileysemt

baileysemt Active Member

I am a med taker.

I've been on Paxil 20 mg for nearly 11 years now. It is the right med for me. I realize that a lot of people have had bad reactions to various ADs ... I haven't had that with Paxil. I don't feel numbed, glossed over or drugged ... I just feel like my normal, happy-go-lucky self again.

.......... when it works. :) LOL !! Since my trauma (July 2006) it has not been nearly sufficient to treat both my pre-existing depression & anxiety, plus the PTSD. Whether it was PTSD all by itself, or if there was a concurrent flare-up of the depression & anxiety, does it really matter? Bottom line, I was miserable. Who cares the label -- Houston, we had a problem!

So 5 weeks ago, my doc put me on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL daily. It's worked like a *charm*. I am coming back to life. I am happy again. I have energy. I am out of bed every day and doing things! :) As we speak, I am cleaning my house for the first time in THREE YEARS. I had forgotten how to clean (you guys know how that goes -- forgetting how to do the most simplest of tasks? -- like where does that go, anyway?) :( nor did I freakin' care about it either ... now all of a sudden, I need the place clean, and I remember how to do it!!! ?? Crazy stuff.

Lemme tell you kids, it's good to be back ............ Lordy there is so much I am behind on.... *eek*

A very nice side-effect of the Wellbutrin is that my nearly-daily headaches, and my migraines, are greatly lessened or totally gone. Most days I do not get those daily headaches at all... and those days I do get a migraine (which is way less often than previously) they are a fraction of the pain that they used to be. (Major HOORAY!!!)

I also have mild hypertension, for which I take 37.5 mg metoprolol extended-release/day. (Yeah, it's a lot of fun chopping up 50 mg pills in 1/8ths to get to 37.5 mg *roll eyes*) Metoprolol also has anti-anxiety effects, and is a beta-blocker so it is supposed to be helpful in treating my migraines. The hypertension is genetic, saw that coming a mile away, so no surprises there. :)

Anyway, not sure if this helps at all, but I was hoping a success story might offer a bit of hope.

:) Bailey

19. Cecilia

Cecilia Active Member

I was on Paxil for 2 years and I felt great, but I gained weight. That motivated me to stop taking it. Coming off of it was horrible, it made me very sick. That inspired me to not take medication for a couple of years, but then I had a major crash a couple of months ago and started taking Effexor RX. My doctor said this should not cause weight gain. I definitely feel better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

User search cloud:

1. those with ptsd who quit taking medications

2. what medicine do you take for ptsd

3. ptds pills to take

4. use medication for ptsd help my claim,
  5. what is the danger of not taking medication for ptsd,
  6. can i take pills for ptsd,
  7. will taking meds help with ptsd va claim,
  8. metoprolol combat related ptsd,
  9. does taking meds help with ptsd claims