1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Talking To The Kids....

Discussion in 'General' started by Zamboni, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zamboni

Zamboni Active Member

The reason I asked you all about how you talk to your kids about PTSD, or if you do, is that my children asked about the scars on my back. We have swam for years, and then BAM.
    It caught me off gaurd. I side stepped the issue. But they knew something. It REALLY bothered me. Another tough night.

I have awsome children. And it is hard to imagine these little ones having to ever face what I had to. It has made me a better father but it has really made for a tough day.

Hope everyone is well.

Zamboni

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Zamboni,

I believe that you will know what to say when the time comes. Sometimes, kids surprise you, you know? Just this past week, I was crying on my kitchen floor and my two year old brushed my tears away and kissed both eyes and said, "make it all better.."

4. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

Zam,

Tell you kids what you're comfortable letting out AND what you think they can handle. Obviously smaller children can't handle as much, but they can handle a simple, "Daddy got hurt." Most will be okay with that. With older kids, they may ask other questions, like "How?", "Why?", "When?", etc. Once again, what you're comfortable with and what they can handle. Kids are very perceptive and can accept what you tell them; just keep it truthful and factual. And, if you get to a point in the discussion with them that you're not comfortable with, just tell them you want to discuss it more later when you're ready. They will be okay with that.

Kids are great when it comes to empathy for the parents. Mine don't know entirely what I went through (they are 11 & 13) but they know enough to know it wasn't good. They respect it and accept it.

Kim

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Well said Kim... well said.

6. Zamboni

Zamboni Active Member

Thank you Kim, Nam and Anthony.

Zam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar