1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Thai yoga massage - anyone try it?

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by permban0077, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I found a wellness center (couple actually so happy I am not hitting the board much even if it is massive help) and I am trying to decide between two. They both do TCM, one more heavily than the other. But the one that uses it but does not seem as hard core TCM offers a lot more services and alternative treatments. And one being the Thai massage. It sounds really cool to try and it lasts 2 -3 hours for a session, I am thinking a few hours of stretching and yoga one on one would be nice. Also, that center offers things like EMDR (not doing that btw) but sounds like they may have experience with PTSD.

Any who... Any one try the Thai Massage? Only hang up would be someone being so touchy but I need to learn to not be so freaked out so may also help with exposure at the same time. But since they know about PTSD maybe they will know how to be careful?

Shit, all I know is all the damn western medicine principles have not worked so well and what will happen, might work? I will waste more $$? Don't care at this point. Something has to work somewhere!

Oh, and both centers have medical doctors and work with addiction so maybe, just maybe with enough needles, massage, and herbs along with the balancing I might have a shot at losing some panic and dropping the xanax. Pricey but hubs is finally willing to let me go this way. He agreed... Won't even go in to that discussion. Retirement gone and I am still ill so why not? One of these days I may be productive again.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

All massage is good... I think the pain just varies between them. All good but at the end...

4. mac

mac Active Member

Anthony, were you going to say "... happy ending?" : )

5. anthony

I left it open for interpretation mate....

6. permban0077

OK looked at video... they massage the ass... Uh not gonna be my cup of tea. Wonder if they can leave that part out.

7. mac

mac Active Member

Go for it and tell us how it was.:wink:

8. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Active Member

Sound like fun, why the hell not?! I am sure something like that would be incredibly beneficial. At the very least it will help you relax, after the initial pain like Anthony mentioned. You WILL be soar the first few sessions, yoga sounds relaxing but it can kick your butt too! how often are the sessions?

9. beatle_bailey

beatle_bailey Active Member

I have and still get massages , ciropractic , and acupuncture ,,, ,, ,, Have tried many differant types of massage but still like deap tisue the best ,, ,, My massues has been working on me in sink with my ciroprator and acupunturest for 7 yrs now ,, ,, My body is not in near the pain it use to be in , But it almost never goes below a 3 on the scale of 1-10,, ,, those are the apointmants I try never to miss ,, ,,, Beatle

10. permban0077

Not sure how often they would have to do it. but it starts at $110 for a couple hours a session - $220 for four hours of it so not very often! But this center offers therapy/counseling, acupuncture, all the different massages, yoga classes, private instruction yoga, this yoga massage, herb therapy... Lots of things. Shocked to find anything like that out here in Kansas. There is even a school of Chinese medicine out here I found out on the hunt. But they also do the blood work even though I have had all that before. Thing that my attention was they do hormone work (could use not flipping out)... and diet plans. Offer classes to get you eating right and I think this one even offers for a woman to come to your home and show you how to cook from your own kitchen. They seem to take all of it pretty serious. Pushing it is the whole body and balance of it that makes you ill.

I may give them a try as they seem to do it all and their staff is pretty big all with their own specialties. I would have to do the initial consultation to get my make up and what they would and would not think would be healthy for me. One that blew my mind was an ear staple that is supposed to do an acupuncture kind of thing. Claims helps with quitting smoking... 80% success rate??? Anyone hear of that?

Yeah, when I saw how they do it I don't know how you would not end up sore! From the way it looks you are supposed to relax while they kind of bend you into a pretzel, looks like they do the yoga to you. Then hit the acupressure points along the way too. Read up on it and it sounds like it was originally brought in by Buddhist.

But for a day to melt away the Swedish massage sounds up my alley.

Will let y'all know what I decide but if anything at least they offer psychotherapy too which I need any way!

11. anthony

Yoga is good for stress relief if you struggle to control your thought processes. Martial arts is also along the same principles, where it won't help you with your problems, but it helps you build mental toughness, and it is that you take and use to apply to your other problems within life.

Acupuncture is my recommendation for treatment of PTSD; hands down winner if done by a TCM or equivalent that are experienced, not just full of BS qualifications.

A gauge to measure whether your seeing the right person in alternative medicine, is to ask them about their lifestyle. Do they do martial arts, yoga, mental type exercise? Do they do this as a job, but go partying, getting drunk, etc etc... all of which says the person is not really a naturalist type person at all, instead they use holistic approaches for a pay packet, but don't really care about it, as their life doesn't mimic it. The best you will find are those that lifes mimic holistic living styles.

12. permban0077

Acupuncture... I was told by someone going through chemotherapy that they had it done before and it did not help. He went again as he was not producing saliva (some kind of throat cancer). He said the last lady he saw it hurt (ironically an older Asian woman this time). He said, for him any way, that if it does not hurt it is not the real thing as he had wonderful results with the painful one. Is that always the case?

13. anthony

Acupuncture is not painful in the sense of lying on a bed the entire time in pain. Not it at all... however; you are going to have needles put in you, and you will feel a quick prick, though often you might not feel it going in depending on their skill level, however; you will feel it when they wind the needle into the pressure points, then adjust them during the session further into the pressure points they are placed. That is the idea. You will feel them when adjusted, but then you will relax and not feel them unless you move that part of your body.

Because a woman is Asian, does not mean she is a guru at acupuncture. That is like saying every Chinese person is a martial arts legend, when most don't even know it or study it. Tradional Chinese Medicine is a global qualification, TCM for short, and you want an acupunturist who is qualified in this area, because they will know more than just acupuncture, they will learn things that the Chinese have known for centuries, thus the results are oten better.

Saying this though, some people give a shit about it, some its just a job. I posted before about looking at their lifestyle. If their lifestyle reflects holistic living, natural therapy, they are often quite good because their passionate. If not, it a money thing, its just a job, and the results will suck.