1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Thanksgiving Recipes to Share

Discussion in 'Social' started by 2quilt, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

I would like to share an excellent salt brine for chicken and turkey that makes the meat moist. I hope that others will add their recipes so that we can all use them next month or next year. This does not work for beef.

2quilt's poultry brine

1 cup salt
    1 container orange juice or 1 can pineapple juice
    1/4 cup rosemary, crushed
    1/4 cup parsley
    1 cup white wine
    1 pinch yellow saffron
    2 bay leaves

Boil all this on top of the stove in a large opt for 5 minutes, stirring until salt dissolves. Let the liquid cool completely. Make room in your fridge for the bird to rest at least 12 hours. When I brine a turkey, I put the turkey in a plastic trashbag, pour the brine over the turkey that's sitting in the trashbag, inside a plastic planter that's on rollerwheels. Ya know, those round plastic things you put plants in, and it's of course all cleaned out, and it's on rollers, so I can move it from the sink to the fridge, then I left the whole thing into the bottom shelf of the fridge. If the brine does not completely cover the bird, I add more cold water, then for a chicken, I let it sit in the brine for 12 hours, and for a turkey, 24 hours. After the time in brine, I get it out of the fridge, roll it to the sink, get Darling Husband to help me lift the turkey and planter-turkey-plastic bag up into the sink and pour off all the brine. Throw away that plastic bag. Rinse off that bird real good inside and out. It will not taste salty if you rinse it good. The way brine works is that salt gets into the fibers of the meat and the molecules expand. After the bird has sat in the brine for so many hours, you get a new trashbag and put that bird in the new trashbag and put it back in the fridge for the same number of hours you brined it, to 'rest.' Now the salt molecules have expanded the meat fibers, so the natural juices of the bird have time to come out during the resting time. After the resting time, you go ahead and season the bird as you want to, put butter under the skin if you want to, whatever you want to do. Put a tinfoil tent, put it in a plastic bag, whatever. The brine has made this the most moistest bird you will ever taste or your money back.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Thank you for the recipe 2quilt, I have saved it for future reference. I most enjoy trying out others' recipes. I have several of my own which we use for Thanksgiving here, I will try to remember to come back and share them later on.