• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

That talk about the snowflake generation is offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did older vets have it harder? Damn straight.

But not trying to do shit smarter? Well, that would be about stupid.

My vet partner has been verbally and physically abusive throughout different parts of our relationship. When he's escalated, he likes to blame me and my generation for not having a backbone, living in a bubble, and for thinking the world is all rainbows and smiles when he knows what the world is really like. He doesn't ever really use the "snowflake" term with me, but I don't particularly like seeing it in the media or on social media, either. I think in regards to my vet and your vet relative, cynicism and/or a negative world view are things that can be expected from those who have seen war, especially if they were deployed in combat zones. I may not like the term "snowflake" when used as an insult, but I don't really take it personally, nor do I take what he says about my lack of backbone (etc.) personally. I've been through enough of my own shit (and put up with enough of my vet's shit) that someone trying to talk down to me as a "snowflake" is laughable to me. Bringing people down doesn't make you a bigger or better person, nor does trying to comparing trauma or experiences. Seems like a sad waste of time for anyone trying to do that.

I got a bit off topic at the end, but here's a relevant excerpt I like: "One civilian opens up to you about how his mother killed herself a few months ago, and asks how you deal with loss. Another talks about the cancer that killed their father. Another about the car crash that killed a friend. Wait....what? Theses civilians had tragedy too? Nah f--k that, they can't know what it feels like. They don't know, my war is the worst war. But wait, how can I dismiss their tragedy and expect them to always care about what I've been through? We all have tragedy, maybe mine was just compounded and compacted into a shorter time, but as it turns out, I'm not special. We are all in this together."
(Retrieved from Dead Link Removed

The whole stereotyping people by generations is getting kind of old. There are more differences between individuals within a generation that there are between generations. There's nothing I can see to be gained from blaming those older or younger than you for anything/everything. A lot of people are tempted to think they have it uniquely bad. (They might want to look around and do a reality check, because SOMEONE is going to have it worse, I promise.) The temptation to think your situation is "the worst ever" crosses generations. The whole topic is kind of one of my personal pet peeves.

Even among vets of different wars in general... for instance the Vietnam vets took awhile to warm up to my OIF vet. They have different opinions of Gulf War vets too. It's like hearing your grandpa talking about walking to school 5 miles in the snow uphill both ways.

Today was the first time I heard the term used, by a friend actually. I was sitting too far away to hear what she said though, so now that I am reading this thread, is really the 1st I have heard of it.

I was a hippie, my best friend ran away from home and went to Woodstock, I didn't have the guts to do that, so I stayed home, but I bought the album (would be called a CD now) and listened to the music for years after that. I lived the life of a hippie and I did things I regret now.

I remember the Rock n Roll generation, putting us hippies down for everything we did. I remember folks from my generation being appalled at the Yuppies.

So it goes. As mentioned before above, it is called "The Blame Game." and it has probably been being played out since the beginning of time.

Your generation will probably blame the next one for something or other....

My problem with millennials is the way that some of them have taken up the torch from the last generation. To keep fighting the problems and injustices of this new era. To make a better world for their children, as the previous generation tried to do for them, on and on and so forth.
* Yes, I know. Not all of you.

Sounds great! But......

These loud, angry, offended(sigh), righteous and entitled little millennial turds.

Have taken these once noble causes turning them the wrong way around and becoming the very thing they are supposed to be fighting.

It's horrifying to see someone spouting about how important it is to stomp out racism, then accuse someone of "Cultural Appropriation". Telling someone they are not allowed to wear a kafia scarf because they aren't an arab. Somehow promoting racial segregation is how to fix racism. Anyone who disagrees is of course labelled a bigger racist than Hitler, naturally.

Then you have concepts like "Teach men not to rape". Promoting feminism, empowering the female gender by telling women they are weak. That will always be powerless victims, unable to fend for themselves. Untill men decide to change their nefarious ways, untill then they need to be afraid, very afraid. Yeah! You go girl!.... Right into that closet to hide untill the big scary men leave. That's not a step backwards, not at all. ffs
* Yes, I know. Not all of you. ** The last sentence is sarcasm. Gender equality is a good thing to me.

The fact that I feel the need to put a disclaimer at the end of every paragraph to hopefully avoid the barrage of "Stop generalizing everyone!"
I'm not. I know lots of millennial's that don't behave in any of the ways I listed above. So of course it's not all of you. However it's hard to hear any of you healthy socially adjusted millennial's over the screams of the other kind.

because being constantly offended and having our feelings hurt is one of the things we are being blamed of.
When people lose their shit over things like manspreading, bad reviews on the Ghostbusters movie, Mario the cartoon video game character depicted wearing a sombrero, or that cis male privilege garbage, plus many many more stupid pointless things. These are the "snowflakes". When trivial life inconveniences somehow are elevated to the level of terrible things like rape, racism, ptsd.
It seems to be increasing in frequency and level of sheer ridiculousness, which is unbelievably heartbreaking to witness.

I hope this post doesn't turn into the proverbial lead balloon.

I find these arguments kind of amusing. Because it happens over and over, between every generation, with the ridiculous stereotypes flowing both ways. The irony of it is that nothing ever seems to be achieved by stereotyping an entire generation, except more resentment between the generations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back