1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

The British Legion And There Counterparts

Discussion in 'Social' started by Scott_Fraser, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

Hi folks I was wondering what the ex-servicemens clubs are like in Australia, Canada and the US. Most Legion clubs in the UK offer a good service, but some let the side down. You get a few pints of beer at a reasonable price and the chat of the ex-servicemen.

Anthony, is ANZAC day like your Rememberence Sunday.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. mac

mac Active Member

I'm somewhat familiar with the Veteran's Foreign War [VFW]. I'm a member, and been there a few times at the most way back. Typically, what I found was several older men (Vet's) sitting around the bar drinking and swapping stories. There's also a 'short order' grill that's generally available. The VFW will be packed though when they have BINGO night.

If I was an alcoholic, had the money to spend at a bar on drinks, and had a desire to socialize with others, I would go to the VFW; I think that's the crowd they cater to.

4. Scott_Fraser

Hi Mac, my local Legion Branch is not to bad, they have a social night every Saturday and have live music. During the week the Vets come in for a beer or a whisky. But they have strict rules in all the clubs. No swearing is allowed, and they throw you out if you have to much to drink and start becoming a pest to the others. There is a few WW2 Vets in and they like to chat away about the war and such. Mostly we slag off each others regiments which is a good laugh, but it never gets out of control. They show live Soccer games during the week as well which is good. They also provide a selection of sandwiches as well, but no hot meals.
    Scott:eek:ccasion: :eek:ccasion:

5. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

So Scott, how many times this month have you been thrown out ? :). Here in the US we have the VFW and the American Leigon. I'm not a vet but my father-inlaw (WWII) vet has been an American Leigon chapter president for years. He has been a Veteran's Affairs advisor to 3 US presidents and has been very important in passing many bills to help vets including PTSD which he's still fighting for even at 86 yrs old. I always thought the Leigon was just a place to have a drink and play shuffleboard. Lots of good things go on behind the scenes that most folks don't realize. Heck the Leigon even helped my dad and his Navy buddies get the minesweeper USS Woodpecker (the last wooden ship in the US navy) back to the US from the Turkish Navy.

6. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Out of curiousity Scott, How often do you go?

bec

7. Scott_Fraser

About 2 times a week Becs, why?
    Scott

8. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

RSL would be the same here... being ex-servicemen/women clubs. I don't go to them though, as they are normally full of drunk veterans and soldiers, obnoxious and many with uncontrolled PTSD, waiting to fight, argue and so forth. I guess just like going to the public bar in the pub. I don't personally frequent those type places often, as I don't like them much.

ANZAC day is the biggest day of holidays, and what you see go on in Gallipoli on ANZAC day, is quite small in comparison to what occurs here. Every military established has large gatherings, parades in most cities and towns, and the only day where gambling (two-up) is pretty much legal anywhere, anytime without a gaming license. ANZAC day is a huge day. I haven't attended one for some years now, as most with PTSD don't generally, as it brings back to much emotion and memories.

I do watch on TV though, but generally avoid them overall.

9. madjon

madjon Active Member

theres a branch of the rbl , for bikers, theyre an interesting bunch, had a good bit of fun talking with em, like any crowd they are a mixed bunch, but dont matter how many arms or legs you got they can help you find something to suit, three wheelers two wheelers, or whatever, and a variety of machines for those who want to regain their freedom, worth mentioning i think.

10. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Re: The Royal Canadian Legion, not only veterans are eligible to join, current servicemen are also welcome, as are the municipal police and the Mounted Police, both veterans and currently serving. Additionally, children, wives and family members of the aforementioned can join. There are several social activities and most Legions have a licensed lounge. However. From my experience, the Legion is most heavily involved in sporting events such as curling and cribbage, and in charity, especially re: youth, seniors and the disabled. Many Legion members do volunteer work which benefits the community. In fact, the Legion is one of the largest volunteer organizations in Canada.

Jim.