• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

"the Dash"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostforgottensoul

MyPTSD Pro
I was sitting her thinking of the old poem "The Dash" Dead Link Removed specifcally my mom's "dash". [Month and day] 1955 - 7/23/2016. That dash means so much. How she chose to live her life. The cult she chose to buy into and raise me in. The things she forced me to do and watch by while others forced me to do. The sexual stuff, the animals, the beliefs. Insanity!

That dash encompasses a lot of my dash too. That little dash means so much to me. I cant seem to let the dash go, or accept the dash, or forgive the dash, or not hate the dash. Does that dash define her? Or any of us? Hating the dash, does that mean I hated her?

Part of that dash is my trauma. Im still playing what ifs. What if she didnt meet my step father? What if she decided to protect me instead of buying into garbage? What if, what if, what if.

Its so confusing. Sorry to write a confusing thread. Maybe would have been better as a diary entry.

Its a great poem though. What will you do with that dash? I plan on figuring all of this out, hopefully before I die. I plan to take my dash back from them and let their dash be their dash and let it die with them. Yeah, thats confusing but makes sense to me lol.

@lostforgottensoul

THANK YOU:) I love poetry so always happy to see it. I'm happy you shared it.

Yes I sense I got what you meant at the end. Living your life..

"for you never know how much time is left
that can still be rearranged."

This line nearly made me cry. Fill me with urgency.

You might like Joy Harjo, Eagle Poem.

Thanks again.

You're welcome @NatBird! :hug: Im glad it helps you!

I read it years ago; actually the christian youth center I was seeking refuage in in the later 90s as a teenager had like entire sessions over this one poem. I was thinking about it and thought id write it out.

I do like poetry. I write it when other words escape me. I will check out the Eagle poem, thanks!

Beautiful poem, but it's setting off some panic in me, so I am going to revisit it when I am on stronger ground.
I worry about that dash constantly, I hope we all can grab ahold of life, just a bit more
Thank you for sharing it x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back