• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The Donate Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
Now I have already read some disgruntled comments regarding the placement of this banner, however; I must add that members must take into account two things:
  1. I will not sell out this forum to external sources for advertisement, and they have offered me a shitload of money already, though I have promised that I will not allow this to occur whilst I am running things; and
  2. The majority of members here are not paying the ongoing costs of the forum, I am. The simple fact is that by placing this in-house banner within all threads, after the first post of each page, members and non-members view it, and thus people know they can donate to help the forum for helping them.
Whilst I put a cost of US$4000 there, it usually costs me more than that in any given year simply because I buy new software, I am constantly looking for newer, more efficient means of which to help members communicate and get the desired help.

Whilst at first it was effective for me to help people, the numbers were low. Now the numbers are growing, and I can no longer help as many people, the posts are getting longer, the issues more in-depth, etc. For me to offer more to people, I need to look at how that can be done. Reading and typing a response is not it now, not for the growing numbers. The most effective means for me will be to simply watch a video or listen to an audio recording from a person, then respond in the same manner. What can be said in 10 minutes via video takes hours via typing.

This forum initially cost me under $2000 per annum to run (first year), now its expanding and members are more, members need systems in which to communicate effectively, quickly, and with all this comes the behind the scenes issues in order to achieve all these things. People use the web every day, but the majority will never comprehend the extent and cost behind the scenes to run the web. Small business, small sites, don't cost much money per annum (maybe US$150 to host and purchase domain). Interactive websites cost the most, have no doubt. Forums, social networking, video communities, interactive costs money, and lots of it. The users just never really know, but the costs exist, and this is why on most of these sites you see "advertisements", the same as TV works, being advertisements pay the costs.

I do not and will not allow advertisements here, thus I look for donations instead. If any person feels they can run it more cost effectively and give members the same functions, then please tell me and I am all ears. Otherwise, the banner serves a purpose, not only for members, but for all those browsing the forum, who read only, never join, and they still make donations. The little button at the top of the forum just doesn't do much I'm afraid, compared to putting something in peoples face.

I am all ears.

I am shocked anyone would complain. I have been here for a year and an editor, but I will be honest, I get so wrapped up in my own issues I totally over look the buttons and announcements so a flag letting us know "Hey, this costs money" is a hardly a problem. I know if I over look it so do others, and admittedly I am supposed to look for this as an editor.

I know that this place has taken me further than 30 grand on doctors has. Hell, I bet I could get some serious therapy over the last year if I gave it to you instead! Shit, I bet I could have been in Australia getting it, LOL!

I know a major issue with PTSD is finances and I know you don't expect it from us. That has been made more than clear if others read previous posts. If we can help we should though. That is just being a part of a community. Don't try to give what you do not have but don't knock you for wanting help from others who can. This is not a hobby; this is serious help you get here. I think we would all be lost without this place (I sure as hell would). You have made it clear before if you knew money came from those in a bind you would not accept it and bounce it back. So bitching about it, shame shame... You still make this work for all of us. We know with the time you invest here and actual costs we could never repay you.

Personally, I am glad you put the banner up. We need a nudge to remember this is not a major money making site and you pay for it.

I was definitely WTF?

It threw me right off. Mind you, it wasn't loading right till this morning (I'm having slow internet issues on my end.. get used to me being on and off of here.. as half my pages won't load) and I couldn't tell what it really was! LOL it was half wrapped around another's user name.. Looked pretty funky! All I could see was support/donate and this big yellow sac.. LMAO...

So ya I bitched.. LOL

I agree if it's not in our face, we tend not to notice. I am grateful you don't outsource for money. I'd never get pages loaded with all those ads!

And nope no fresh ideas for ya.. Won't even begin to hazard guess at that..

I would like to say though.. let us get used to it before jumping all over us. Yes some of us grumbled in our diaries.. it's a change and an unexpected one that just popped out of the blue. It will just take some of us a while to adjust to it.

bec

Diaries are part of the forum. Better than some bogus site ad selling crap for a couple hundred bucks that you find out is not even half the info you find here freely (yes I have paid for some good online crap but most I paid for was just crap). And getting new things to load right are just growing pains. Do not forget which pocket this comes out of for us to be here. I am not going to complain!

V not growing pains.. it's my connection. I only have DSL Lite and been having some REAL problems with it.. 99% of the time.. I can't get anything to load. Once I catch up on all my bills, I will be getting full DSL and this problem won't be an issue for me! Take me about a year though! LOL

bec

Hee hee less calories? Never heard of a "lite" version beyond Miller LOL. Sorry it is almost 7 AM and no sleep, can't help myself.

After reading comments to date I am wondering if some people are confusing dealing with something "new/different" rather than seeing the message for what it really is :think:

From what understand about PTSD I am aware that some suffers do not cope well with change and perhaps a reason for some of the negative reactions???

I sit here while Anthony pours hours, day after day, into the site and I listen to all the ideas he has of improving the site for the long term benefit of all the users - suffers and carers - so I am confused with some of the negativity. The message is not "lets shove something in people's faces" but, as I understand it, "lets pitch in to help maintain and support something which is valuable to all who use the site".

hehe mine was more along the lines of what is that, Nicolette!

yesterday, when I grumbled, it was wrapped around another's user name (the post was shoved way to the right side of the screen) and shy of the yellow bag and support/donate, I couldn't even make out what it was..

Otherwise not complaining. It looks normal today (for the moment) but now that I know what it is, it won't throw me off when it does that again. It's my connection.. it's warping my pages.. LOL

Other than that, I know I've jumped a few times at it today.. It just kinda startles me. I think you will find those of us in flare-ups of symptoms will react worse than the others.

trust me, I'm grateful for what Anthony does for us and how much he pours into it.

I can't wait for the day that I'm all caught up on bills and can afford to donate (and Anthony you won't be allowed to bounce it back then! hehe)

bec

The message is not "lets shove something in people's faces" but, as I understand it, "lets pitch in to help maintain and support something which is valuable to all who use the site".

Again, someone else sums it up quite nicely!

Hey Bec

I totally understand what you are saying and I'm sure Anthony will agree that what is most important is that we look forward to the day you get better more than anything else.

Take care :)

Well pardon me for saying how I felt about it. Apparently that makes me a bad selfish person. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to have an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back