• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News The Environment, Animals And Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
I'm hoping that I am placing this in the right area of the Forum, but if not, please feel free to move it!

I am concerned that bees are dying at alarming rates due to some of the pesticides that are being used on our crops. Bees pollinate many of these crops and without them, our crops won't grow! I have heard that anywhere from 7 to 70 of our major food crops are being affected by this, yet there are, to my knowledge, no laws to protect the bees. One of the books I read that mentions this problem is "REWILDING OUR HEARTS - BUILDING PATHWAYS OF COMPASSION AND COEXISTENCE" by Marc Bekoff. I also received some info in the mail about this from an organization working to get laws passed to protect the bees. I signed their petition to the Congress of the USA on this.

Then there is the problem of the rising on sea level due to climate change. I read an article in National Geographic not long ago about this. They predict dire land losses by 50 years from now, if this trend does not change. They even predicted that Manhattan, in New York City, would be completely immersed by then if we don't act! Yet we are doing little to address the issue of planetary warming. If you are planning to buy a car any time soon, consider a model that uses less fuel or even is a hybrid.

What can you and I do about all these things and others that endanger the welfare of our planet? Write to our politicians, ask them to pass laws to protect the environment. Join conservation organizations and work with them to change the laws. Recycle your paper and plastic if you are not already doing so. Every little thing we do to help or stop ourselves from doing what hurts is making a difference. For instance, can you car pool to work or church or other activities? I do this all the time. I have to, I don't own a car. For those of you who do own one, can you offer other(s) a ride?

Please be creative. Think of ways to save electricity. Your life, and the lives of all of us may well count on it.

There are memes on facebook that share information of what flowers we can all grow in our own back yards that will attract bees to them. I'd love to get an actual hive and be a bee keeper at some point, but where I live now I don't know that my landlady would allow me to have one...I haven't really asked though, and she is into sustainable practises, so maybe...

I don't own a car either...never have. Buses, trains and riding my bike are fine by me, though I would LOVE to own a Tesla car. That would be awesome. I live in a city where the public transport may not be perfect but compared to many countries it's pretty damn good and much cheaper than affording a fuel driven car that I don't really need.

It's a very serious issue. Monsanto has already created spooky mechanical bees to take over the actual bees job. It's freaky as hell. Governments are in denial and moving too slowly on important environmental issues, but there are some very good organisations out there...like Friends of the Earth for one. They are an international organisation with grass roots, and have passionately fought for environmental protection for over 20 years. I used to volunteer at the one in my town twice a week and they gave me the most delicious vegetarian food in return.

I love beeswax candles and old oil lamps, so I try to go without artificial lights whenever possible or use my Himalayan rock salt lamp which uses a very low wattage green bulb and gives off a really pleasant warm glow instead of a bright light in your eyes. It creates a really nice atmosphere.

Have they really made it illegal in America to grow your own vegies in your backyard? I heard that was being established about 3 years ago...not sure if it passed though? I was reading that even being found with seeds was a punishable offense? It's incredible to me that any government would go to such an extent to make sure people only eat GMO crops.

Last edited:
Man! I didn't know about the mechanical bees, what a bunch of jerks!!! There is a special law in my country that allows them to do genetically modified organisms and actually forbids anyone from labelling a product as non-GMO. The only way around this is to buy ORGANIC products, which are not supposed to be GMOs, but this is not even official, as far as I know. It is just the choice of most organic farmers.

Also, what scares the living daylights out of me is that bees can pollinate an organic crop, transferring pollen from a GMO crop and then Monsanto can purportedly sue the farmer for the use of their GMO pollen!

Yes, there is no way of knowing if a product is 100% organic any more because of this...and I don't think anything can be organic anyway with the amount of crap in the soils to start with. Nothing is really pure and companies use a lot of sneaky language and legal loopholes to get around labelling of their products to deceive consumers.

Surely the thing with the bees transporting GMO pollen would be hard for monsanto to win though? It's hardly the farmers fault things have gotten so mixed up.

On another note, my church has a recycling program. We have special baskets labeled with "Plastic", "Paper" and so on, where folks can throw their church bulletins on their way out, or put a soda can in the "Cans" one.

I actually collect my empty milk (rinse them out first) and empty Gatorade and other bottles and bring them to church, and our recycling lady takes them to the dump for me too, as I have no way of getting them there otherwise. My building where I live does not recycle, so I cannot do it at home.

I used to do nothing all day (when i couldnt work for 2 yrs) and sign petitions all day. None of them went anywhere. Im not saying some dont, thats just not my experience.

consider a model that uses less fuel or even is a hybrid.

This is impossible for me because first they are too damn expensive and second i cant afford to finance a car and must buy one out right, if i could find a hybrid, then it would be too much than i can afford. One with less fuel, ive got a bit of a newer car that is has a bit better gas miliage than my old car but its not a huge difference. You cant be picky when you cant afford payments if financed and cant afford anything over $1200 and on a tight schedule.

Id love a hybrid but theres no way i could afford one so now i ask, how do they make them more affordable for us on the bottom of the income food chain and at the have a single income?

Yes, there is no way of knowing if a product is 100% organic any more because of this...and I don't thi...

Yeh, "ALL NATURAL" has no actual legal meaning whatsoever, I read in an article in "Weight Watcher's" magazine awhile ago. SHEEEESH!

I used to do nothing all day (when i couldnt work for 2 yrs) and sign petitions all day. Non...

I sign them and send them in anyway. We have nothing to lose except a postage stamp in most cases. I know at least I have done what I can by doing that. I also write outright to my Congressmen and ask them to do things about certain issues. They do reply too, usually with a bunch of some kind of excises and all, but then one can reply to that letter and so on. You never know, but you might change how they vote on something. You can write online too, which saves postage stamps!

Free Range eggs don't mean the chickens aren't still locked up at night in a crowded filthy pen. They may be allowed to roam free during the day but they still live like caged sardines at night.

I'm still not sure whether Veganism is actually the full solution, from an environmental perspective, as I've seen information from both sides that cancel each other out and ex vegans who have changed their minds about the impact on the agriculture is pretty compelling...especially since some members of their own community have sent them death threats for not only leaving veganism but printing books saying it's not actually the solution to these serious issues. I'm mostly plant based in my diet, though I still eat a bit of meat from time to time...mostly organic if possible.

I appreciate the good work people like Leonardo Di Caprio and that other actor who went and became a beekeeper recently are doing to raise awareness. In America people place their celebrities on pedestals, so they will actually listen to them, even if politicians are retarded.

I do eat meat a bit and also eggs. Being poor, I cannot afford the free range varieties, so I eat what I can afford. However, if ORGANIC or FREE RANGE is on sale, I will definitely buy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back