• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The first time you witnessed emotional numbing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not tried EMDR therapy, but I am in counselling which has been a life saver. I also see a psychiatrist and we've...
Azize, I've been dealing with my symptoms for 5 weeks now. I can't imagine having this anxiety for many more months. It's been somewhat debilitating already and very consistent. I can easily fall asleep, but staying asleep is the issue. I wake up and can't fall back asleep as I begin to think about the events.
Good to hear you are finding success with your talk therapy. When you get a chance, research EMDR. It is a therapy focused on trauma and we both experienced that first hand. The therapy helps to change the neural pathways inflicted by the trauma. I'm hopeful because my traumatic event took place over a weeks time and thank goodness it wasn't months or years of repeated trauma. Still, it affected me in ways I never knew possible. One week my ex was professing his love to me, talking wedding venues, and the next.. he was verbally threatening my life. In the PTSD state, he became a stranger and a scary one at that.
I've been trying to take good care of myself. Yoga, EMDR, massages, lots of prayer. I hope you can find the right balance for you, as no one deserves to go through life like this.
May I ask how long your traumatic event or events occurred? Was it repeated or a single incident?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back