• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The fourteen day challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
HA! I'm stumbling all over myself, REALLY??? Oh man, yesterday I just gave up and did a litany of blah blah blah all over myself. Started new today and stumbled once, back on the horse thought :tup:.

I think I may be understanding the whole "journey vs the end of the road" thing. I certainly am getting tired of beating myself up over beating myself up...! :rolleyes:

Honestly, I would never talk to anyone the way I talk to myself, ever.

Srain, I'm the exact same way. I would never speak to anyone the way I speak to myself - Never! People think I'm one of those people that wouldn't say "S*#t" if my mouth were full of it, yet the stuff I say to myself...

Day one, but getting really good at it. I actually hit day three before having to start over this time. :)

Made it almost all the way through day 3, until last night. Same thoughts are running through my head this morning and I am off to my diary to deal with them. It may be day 1 several times today based on the mood I am in. Need to change my attitude.

That is what this exercise teaches me. To recognize my own negative thinking, address it, and correct it. It can be so frustrating as I am always starting over, but then I have to keep remembering; it is not the goal that matters but the journey to reach the goal.

I'll join: Just a question: What about the cognitive distortion stuff: like thinking that I'm going to get yelled at or something if I don't do my homework, or like the auditory negative flashbacks and the thoughts that happen because of it? Do those count in the challenge?

Cause if so, I'm not going to last more than half an hour. xD

Hi Jen,

It isn't about flashbacks or fears, it is about trashing ourselves. It is taking the negatives we have been taught, internalized and retraining ourselves to recognize them. These are also cognitive distortions, and this has been one of the easiest ways I have found to identify and address them.

It is a form of CBT, although very simplified, and I have found it extremely helpful. I still have a long way to go, but each one I identify, work on and conquer is another step toward healing.

Wow, today, I don't think I made it more than 15 minutes for part of the day. But I have a troll to deal with in real life that stirs up trouble on a daily basis. Not a good day for me!

Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back