• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The fourteen day challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made it to Day 3, yesterday. Then 2 hours in, I started the negatives again. So, now I am starting Day 1 again today. Try, try, try again.

I also have a quote that my T gave me recently.

"Success consists of getting up once oftener than you fall down." author unknown

I like it and wish I could think this positive all the time. :confused:

I have lost count so back to day 1. Today was a good day for me. I drove and did'nt have anxiety woo hoo!!!:cool:

I will try to keep track, and hopefully will make it to day 14. Having positive things to do and to look forward to helps alot.

I think I'm day 2 or 3 ...KP's post helped me to understand the difference on how better to term things I feel instead berating myself as a go-to form of expression. When the pdoc said I looked better I immediately said I had put on weight not that "I was a ....", and I just mentioned that I was uncomfortable. I have not picked on myself but thought in terms "healthy". :)

Day one... I'm seeing that I've got some serious self talk problems from this exercise. When I get a fear/thought about coping or toughing out a difficult situation I bash myself until I'm nearly paralyzed and just wait it out to start over trying to clear my mind and just be quiet and breathe til it stops.

I really feel so inadequately equipped to deal with things. It doesn't stop me from doing them... I do it anyway... but any sense of satisfaction or accomplishment is really diminished because running in the background is my own voice in my head shouting or whispering a litany of self criticisms.

Tips welcome.

Alba,

When I get stressed and the adrenaline kicks in, I do the same thing. I am trying to step back and then rationally fight my own distorted thinking. Kind of like I am arguing with myself in my own head.

Just realized that last sentence sounds a little odd (OK probably a lot odd :eek:), but I don't know a better way of putting it. Positive self pep talk to counter negative self talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back