• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The News From My Home Country - Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
THEY want to prevent genocide? Hell no!
How about Indian genocide in Guatemala in late 80s, when the people were pushed away from their land and destroyed and the US officials new what is going on.

that is wierd that you mention that Linda, I was just in Guatamala last month on a home building mission trip. We have been working there for 7 years now in a couple of villages in the remote part when the Mayan's live. There are still remnants of the civil war everywhere, razor wire, men with very big guns. It is amazing to hear the stories from many of the people that lived through that hellish time. Many of them lost brothers, children, parents, whole families wiped out. We are still seeing that many of the now adults grew up with no fathers. The hardest hit were the most rural parts where we were, very remote up in the mountains, Santa Clara, San Juan, etc.... Thank God the new government has done alot to build infrastructure and most people like the current President. Things are getting better for the people in Guatemala. All that is about to change though, their Pres. can only serve one 5 year term and they are having elections this year, the front runner is not a good man, he has been known to take money from drug cartels and that makes most people scared. but the vote of the Mayan's doesn't hold much weight unfortunately the people in Guatemala City, Antigua and other large cities make up a majority of the votes, due to the remoteness of the villages. Ok, I will stop there, I could go on forever, I will get off y soapbox now.

Monarch, I wanted to go to Guatemala with the mission, too, but a friend of mine invited me to Mexico, so I will probably choose that. But hope to go to Guatemala next year.
Why is that so touching me, is because everybody knows about Jewish Holocaust, but not too many people know about other Holocausts which were and still are taking place in today's world. I do not think that Jews are any better that Mayas, but if you ask any person in US what happened in Guatemele in 80s, many will not know.
There is a book by Victor Montejo, called "Death of Guatemalan village". It is an account of the genocide which went unknown to the world. It is blood chilling and potentially triggering, but I was able to make it to the end, and was then extremely angry and upset with all what is happening to humble peaceful people.
I hope that the situation in Guatemala is better now, however, do not believe in honest politicians, especially in Latin America.
My husband is a participant of the Sandinist Revolution in Nicaragua, and was fighting "contras" for years. Now Ortega was again elected as a president of Nicaragua, and he is actually only thinkong of his wealth, which is not unusual at all.
My recipy would be to get rid of them all, because people want peace, not war.

That is true, many people do not know about other Genocides in the World. I will have the check out that book, it will be hard to read I am sure but I fell in such deep love with all of the people we met. Definately go if you get the opportunity. I want to go next year too but I think we are going to Africa, our friends are going to live in Uganda for 2 years as missionaries and we are part of their support system so we are going to take time and go over there and do some work for our 10th wedding anniversary. I can't wait actually. The kids are staying here though, a little too dangerous for them to go.

Monarch, I think it is impossible NOT to fall in love with people you meet in remore areas of the Third Worls countries. I now love Nicaragua as this is my motherland, and we are going to move there eventually. I love Nicaragua because of its people, humble, hard-working, remarkably peaceful compared to Russians and even to Americans. Whe I first met my in-laws, I came there alone, without Jose, and stayed in his sister's house for two weeks. It is incredible how much love they all gave me. I found myself being a daughter-in-law, a sister-in-law, an aunt, and definetely a part of the family. I in fact feel a lot more comfortable with my Nicaraguan family than with my American one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back