• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The Pain And Tiredness After Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandinavgirl

Confident
When it is painful (after) therapy where you have been talking about your childhood/trauma, still after a 6 month break without talking about it, does that mean I should talk some more about it? Or will it be painful everytime I talk about my trauma in therapy?

I think you should keep talking about it. I'm sorry that you experienced a trauma -- and although I understand it's difficult, I believe that it's what therapy is for. To keep talking about it, keep pushing through the pain. If anything, take a breather or two, have your therapist calm you down and help you settle when it gets to be too much. Write some of it down and save it for next session. It'll be painful to talk about, regardless of how many times you've talked about it, but the goal is that it hurts differently; hopefully less, the more you do.

It's like nightmares. Nightmares are scary, but they are needed -- they help us process our left-over fear and anxiety and once we wake up, we're cooled off from the horror of our nightmare. Sometimes we may need to process, but all of what you're doing in therapy and all of what our brain does is consistently try and process and protect itself. Hang in there. :hug: You're doing a really good thing and I hope that this break has given you some insight.

There are many things in my life that I've completely sorted over the years. I can talk all day about them, and it doesn't bother me at all. Not painful, not exhausting, not a problem. They're as emotionally charged as talking about celery or shoes or any other completely neutral topic.

The things I haven't sorted? Hurt. Hurt to even think about thinking about them, much less actually thinking about them. Even worse to think about talking about them, or actually talking about them. That's how I know I haven't sorted them; they still hold a great deal of power over me.

I think you should keep talking about it. I'm sorry that you experienced a trauma -- and although I u...
Thank you for your answer. I have been thinking about why it was so difficult talking about my trauma again - I thought that I had been talking about everything that was important last year. Maybe because I am in better contact with my feelings now, and maybe because I touched some new aspects I have not been talking about before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back