• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News The Pope Said Something Very Powerful About The Sexual Abuse Of Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackbirdSinging

MyPTSD Pro
I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this somewhere else. But when I saw part of something the Pope said it struck me in such a way that tears came to my eyes. Like a remedy on a wound he spoke directly to the pain that many of us have and continue to endure. I felt compelled to share it here.

“God weeps for sexual abuse of children,” Francis said during the speech. “These cannot be maintained in secret. I commit to a careful oversight to ensure that youth are protected and that all responsible will be held accountable.”

"Those who have survived this abuse have become true heralds of mercy -- humbly, we owe each of them our gratitude for their great value as they have had to suffer this terrible abuse sexual abuse of minors,"

Admittedly I haven't yet finished reading the entire article beyond that quote. And I haven't suffered sexual abuse from a clergyman. Although I have endured more than one sexual assault. Some of which occurred when I was a very young child.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5606a03be4b0dd850307c470

I like Pope Francis but I don't give a holy f*ck what he has to say about victims' pain and suffering until I know he is willing to put an end to the Church's habit of covering up the crimes and freeing the criminals with thousands and millions in bail-outs and bargains and other schemes. Convict the child molesters, no matter what their holy rank, and let them be locked up in prison and posted as registered sex offenders. Hold them to the law of regular child molesting criminals, which was designed to protect the victims, not just apologize after the fact.

It just meant something to me to see him say that he's going to hold people accountable. And for me I found his words to be validating about the value of people who have been sexually abused. It's not something I hear from politicians or even all of the people in my life that I told. I don't know what he can do about what has or hasn't happened in the past. But if he really does hold people accountable I think it's a step however small in the right direction.

All I do know is I felt validated seeing what he said about the value of those who have been sexually abused. It's a far cry from the blame some people put on me when I finally found the courage to talk about what happened to me.

Thanks for posting this!

Pope Francis appears to be different from the others. His words carry compassion rather than just elegance. His encyclical about the Earth is simply amazing, full with love.

However, as too many say the right things but do nothing, I understand one's anger at an representative of the Catholic Church. And as victim, we have been conned by sweet talk, so why should we let in any other sweet words of compassion. Me, I believe what they do, not what they say.

Yet, sometimes, sincere words come from deeply listening and empathizing.

I do not know why, but we need to be seen and recognized in our suffering as human beings. Maybe it gives us hope about others.

As I walked out of my 'house of horrors' affair I took note of one very important (to me) thing. Actions, not words. People can say all they want and it takes little or no courage. I would be very surprised if Pope Francis acts against the child molesters that they have ordained and covered up for.

I guess I'm in the "actions speak louder than words" camp too. But, I'm inclined to like this guy and think that maybe he DOES mean it and he WILL do something. I don't know that system well enough to know what he CAN do. Yeah, he's pope, but he's still got an entrenched bureaucracy busily sweeping things under rugs.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't deal with them the way I would. :devilish:

Yeah, he's pope, but he's still got an entrenched bureaucracy busily sweeping things under rugs.
There was a Pope (John Paul I) who actually died 33 days after he was elected Pope. Some say that he saw the corruption in the Vatican and, the night (?) before he was about to clean house, this very healthy Pope suddenly 'died'.

I get that many automatically cry 'conspiracy theorist' when they hear such things uttered (who would DO that????), but from the world I come from, nothing is to horrendous to be spoken as impossible.

The Vatican is far from 'holy' (just my humble opinion). Since he is figurehead of said institution, I am going to say that the road to hell is paved with 'apparently good deeds'.

(who would DO that????),
Would you believe I spent a big chunk of a therapy session yesterday talking about this kind of stuff. (Started because he has a car involved in a recent high profile recall. LOL) Towards the end of the hour, it dawned on me that we were BOTH fanning the flames of conspiracy theories. I stopped and say, "Wait! Aren't you supposed to be talking me OUT of conspiracy theory thinking????" He said, "No. I'm supposed to be helping you make your road map of reality as accurate as possible and big business really IS taking over the world." Oh boy......

There was a Pope (John Paul I) who actually died 33 days after he was elected Pope. Some say that he saw the corruption in the Vatican and, the night (?) before he was about to clean house, this very healthy Pope suddenly 'died'.

I'm still surprised current Pope is alive this long. I always thought he'd be killed within month(s).

until I know he is willing to put an end to the Church's habit of covering up the crimes and freeing the criminals with thousands

Not sure what power he has over local churches. But I'd like to see investigation to all the cover-ups, and moving priest around. Then report them to police.

I believe in actions above words too. I guess what I was trying to say about what impacted me about what he said has gotten a little lost.

I appreciated the acknowledgment of the pain that has been imposed onto those of us who were sexually abused.

When I first told about what happened to me I was yelled at and blamed. So for me to see the Pope acknowledge that kind of pain I felt validated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back