• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The Ptsd Cup Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Anni I feel the same, exactly.

Yes, reducing adrenaline, 'rest and quiet', peace, rhythm.
xoxox Anni :inlove:

(Hey.. brrrr :eek: :laugh:, xox- that is an accomplishment lol :), xox)

Grounding, using the tools, whatever-nothing nothing nothing worked recently. I went out and froze my backside off running 3 miles in 10 degree weather. Hee. THIS was effective- mile 2, seriously, the whole thing just ebbed back into the cup and went away, what passes for rational thought in my head returned.

Exercise that is rhythmical seems to help, running, swimming, dancing - well for me anyway. If I swim a mile outside in the rain I can get out of the pool and my head felt a bit normal, like there was space for something :)

Nothing will beat talking about it and getting some type or resolution that your brain will accept as feedback.

I agree, talking to a therapist is good but very, very tiring. I have to sleep afterwards, hate crying and getting upset :) which means even worse sleeping at night but seem to have got into the pattern of afternoon sleeping which will have to stop when I am back at work properly.

But I have tried talking to friends without gory details, things like ' over 15 years ago I was attacked.....' but they just stare at me with cartoon open mouth and tell me they are worried, that I seem fragile and treat me a bit like a child. Which is really difficult. Or worse they tell me all about someone else's experience of CBT and how good it was for their workplace stress. Errrrr. It makes me mad.

Maybe I need another approach or maybe I am paranoid about talking about it, after not talking about it. If that makes sense.

Talking can be the physical act, or writing... either way, as long as the means gets appropriate feedback that the brain will accept... hence why exposure therapy is so successful with PTSD. This forum is one big massive exposure therapy session every time a person reads here, let alone participates. It is the single form of therapy to date with the most successful longevity of results for PTSD.

This forum is one big massive exposure therapy session every time a person reads here, let alone participates.

I think I'm getting more of why I'm dealing with different symptoms at times.

That's an extremelyyyy good point, with the forum, as opposed to merely speaking with friends. I don't mean it's some idiotic exclusive club, with PTSD, it's just that it's pointless to try to engage anyone with this stuff. I do not mean that in a snotty way, truly, it really is pointless-I mean, why? It does take an awfully long time to get it into one's head this is the case, I know but it is.

Honestly, I've had therapy, as in the real thing, for years. I've worked at it because it's what you do. I can say I haven't gotten any better and been able to stay that way for any length of time until bumping into this place. Yes, that's a big statement, maybe my therapy hasn't been very good who knows. I'm pretty good at sticking things together in my head though sometimes and I'm pretty sure a lot of it has been the deliberate application of the forum, daily, not prn, then stop remembering every waking moment I have PTSD and get on with things.

I used to think it was having an endlessly supportive husband, which has been key, to be sure. I think I'd have sabatoged that by now if I hadn't been able to ascertain some kinda brutal truths about myself here and stick to them -pretty sure. Too long to get into, it's no doubt also saved my husband endless wear and tear not mention the entire marriage. Hee- if only he knew this is BETTER than what could have been, poor, nice man!

Writing with feedback allows a person to walk away, think about things, re-read what they said... think some more, examine themselves, come back to it, read responses, get ideas... formulate their own ideas from comments... then come up with a way that suits them to deal with something.

Therapy cannot provide that.

This forum cannot provide some benefits of face to face therapy either... being the physical act of fighting fear to talk with an actual person, which is part of the process in healing PTSD and learning to re-engage social normalcies, if not already having them within your day.

Thank you for the "cup" thingy. It does make sense to me, if only every one else understood this about people who suffer with this illness. I wish every person had "mental window" that others could look through just to see the mental scars we ALL carry round with us every day. Just saying, it would be a different world if pain on the inside could be automaticly seen on the outside. Much love and peace to you.

AGAIN! This thread pops up exactly at the right time in my life. Lately, I've been extremely "touchy and snippy" as my mother calls it. My cup runneth over.

Thanks again for the help. Needed this reminder

I fly off the handle every day. If something is missing it just disappears and i go nuts. My parents have threaten to take me to a mental hospital...which does look inviting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back