• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News The U.s. Needs To Revisit Ptsd Treatment Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
Like no shit... why the hell isn't America following these very guidelines from the experts within America? Your own experts give the facts, other countries follow them to prove validity, discover accuracy, yet America doesn't use them. f*ck me... why are the people in charge so stupid in America? Stop throwing money at all these idiotic ideas, studies, test procedures and attempted quick fixes... all bullshit and you may as well burn the $$$.

Historically, medications and talk therapy have been considered "first-line treatments." This basically means they should be used first, and if they fail, then you try something else. In fact, the joint treatment guidelines published by the Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs Department puts medications and psychotherapy on equaling footing. The same is true for the American Psychiatric Association.

Not all agree.

Organizations from the United Kingdom and Australia and the World Health Organization take the position that trauma-focused psychotherapies such as prolonged exposure, cognitive processing therapy, and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing are most effective when it comes to PTSD treatment. Basically, their stance is that the evidence for meds is just not as strong. A recent study carried out by military and VA researchers, and published in the journal Depression and Anxiety, supports this position.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/veterans/2016/04/21/dea-approves-ptsd-marijuana-study/83356604/
After weeding through more than 60,000 possibilities, the researchers identified 55 psychotherapy and medication studies for PTSD. This added up to around 6,300 total study participants.

What did they find? Trauma-focused psychotherapies outperformed psychotherapies that do not specifically discuss the trauma. They also beat out medications.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...visit-our-ptsd-treatment-guidelines/84323812/

The US VA-----an antiquated piece of machinery.

I've had family members who had to deal with them. Lots of red tape, bureaucratic BS, and the like.

Why do we do things this way? Oh, common sense has nothing to do with it! We do things this way simply because that's how it's always been done.

<bangs head on wall>

Medication costs less than talk therapy.

The Veteran's Administration competes with the active duty military for the same " pot " of defense budget funding. This is GOING to mean the VA will often get shortchanged, unless we fund it separately.

:(

Because trauma therapy doesn't bring in the dollar signs for those in the 1%?

All medication is a mask.
From Panadol to anti psychotics
At least in my opinion anyway.
But what would I know?

Last night I watched a vid on youtube.
Yeah I know.
Youtube, what would it know? Yada yada.

It was that motivational group, ted.x or whatever the hell it is

The speaker was a neurosurgeon.
Dr James doty
He spoke of the state of the US currently, with the best living conditions, the greatest resources.
World renowned research, blah blah.

Also highest rate of discontent, of ANYWHERE IN THE LIVING WORLD.

Their studies found one thing that was concurrent.

Lack of compassion.

Well... yer, that is a whole issue in and of itself @Stickler. The US have a military budget of 54%, like OMFG... what about the country and its citizens? Most countries spend around 3% of their budget on military and are struggling with internal problems. There is just no need for such a large military today.

Even here in Australia, we as a nation have been cracking the shits with the Government sending foreign aid to all these countries around us, yet we have issues in our country that are growing worse and need $$$ to fix. They don't have a choice here... they get tossed out, so our foreign funding has been massively cut and that money used internally. f*ck other countries issues, fix your home first, then worry about everyone else. If you're falling apart at home, then you won't be capable of helping others in the future.

America needs to stop spending money on their military, f*ck the military... funnel 90% of the budget internally with a 10% military budget solely to fund defence of the country, nothing else. Everyone else around the world is using, and benefiting from American ideas and innovation, except America. I don't get that.
Also highest rate of discontent, of ANYWHERE IN THE LIVING WORLD.
Watch the new Michael Moore movie, "where to invade next." A real eye opener for most countries to view, not just America. Most countries should be pulling the best of ideas and what's working from each other, creating better societies to live within.

excellent post and thank you for sharing. I work for the gov and while they do a lot of talk about supporting our military PTSD is a taboo subject. I have my own experience as a civilian but I have seen it with military hires as well and I find it disgraceful. Anyone mentioning PTSD is basically talked over like they didn't say anything. They have to honor requests from military if they ask to move to an office space that is quieter. But while honoring the request they are talked about with disregard, considered manipulative and a problem "to be dealt with"
I have seen and heard it regarding others and experienced myself.
When one of our people at work would sometimes act irrational, not shoot everyone in the office irrational but frustrated and agitated, managers would be eye rolling annoyed and when the person came back later to apologize they were privately talked about with more eye rolls and the opinion that they were not trained psychologists but managers and shouldn't have to deal with this. I have came across that treatment myself as well and I know what shame and self hate is felt because you can't control your shit.
The need some f*ckin compassion but mostly education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back