1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Therapist thought i was psychic

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by Sandstone, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Sandstone

Sandstone I'm a VIP Donated

After a slightly difficult conversation, T and I were silent for a while. She asked "Did you find that upsetting to talk about?" I replied "No, I was just thinking about green shoes I have owned"

She exclaimed "Green Shoes!!??", sounding extremely shocked, and as I started to explain that I have a weakness for them, even though they don't match anything, she interrupted to say that her previous client had been talking to her in some distress about the impact of green shoes. T obviously thought the subject was somehow in the ether, and I had picked it up.

I rather think she was disappointed when I had to point out to her that her green leather handbag was on the floor beside her chair, and would have sparked the trains of thought in successive clients.

At least I know now that she won't automatically dismiss me if I ever tell her the story of my one inexplicable "ghost" encounter.

Searching4Self, jaccat, Crow and 12 others like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Saelben

Saelben Space Core Donated

Would you consider this a comical anecdote? :p

I really wouldn't expect a therapist to go that way. But nice of pointing iut the handbag, makes sense, and the spirit of science in me supports it :)

4. Sandstone

Sandstone I'm a VIP Donated

Yes, I think it is very funny.

It is also interesting, as we are still getting to know each other, to know that her immediate reaction wasn't to go to the mundane and logical. We know that most mind-reading and paranormal shows are based around suggestion, and I think that this is a nice example of how it can work. It also indicates that I am not foolish to be concerned about suggestibility in therapy but am wise to be determined to make up my own mind in a slow and considered way.

leehalf, NinjaWolf, Friday and 6 others like this.
  5. barefoot

barefoot I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

Ha! My therapist is very open to psychic energy, the paranormal, “the otherworldly and unexplained” etc.
    Sometimes, I find it quite odd. Othertimes I like that she is open-minded.

A while back I was describing a night time hallucination I’d had (I have night terrors and hallucinations quite a lot - this one involved seeing a child) and she asked me whether I had considered that it might be something paranormal.
    I said that, no, I hadn’t considered that! :)

6. UnicornSightings

UnicornSightings Well-Known Member Donated

Haha that’s funny! I briefly saw 2 therapists that were pretty out there in their beliefs but I personally want to tell my most troubled stuff to someone down-to-earth. Even if I believe in crazy stuff, I want my t to bring me back to reality I guess. I have a psycho friend that helps me expand my mind so I guess everything in balance. I’m glad you shared that, though. That gave me a chuckle.

Haha I meant psychic. She’s not psycho lol!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2018
  7. Rumors

Rumors I'm a VIP

you should start a thread about ghost encounters. I had two and to this day it freaks me out to the point that I sweat when thinking about it. Lol. I am NOT a ghost person and I am not usually in to the paranormal. I can't deal with the normal much less the para part... funny story about green shoes!!

8. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

<laughing> I’ve had the same sort of thing happen a few times. Never fails to crack me up.

Hey, more things in heaven & earth? Absolutely. But when what I just did was nothing more than observation? Science is wicked cool too, yo. :D :tup: ;)

Rumors and NinjaWolf like this.
Show Sidebar