• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Therapists Office Atmosphere: How Does It Affect You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasounds

MyPTSD Pro
In looking for a new T, I visited three therapists, and I surprisingly found that their offices bothered me. In previous experiences, the T office was a non-issue. (Just give me a quiet space, and a cozy chair with pillows, to prop myself.) I post this, to find out if others have had similar experiences.

Ones that didn't work: one that had an entire wall of those miniature play figures staring at me (creeped me out), one with chairs that didn't fit my 5'2" frame-without pillows, a home office that was in a condo-with construction constant work noise, a ceiling with the insulation hanging out, and a home office that was extraordinarily stark.

Has the therapist's office ever been the reason, or part of the reason, of why you didn't go back? It was one of the many factors that I weighed, in these recent experiences.

I guess I know, now, to ask: Is your building and office quiet? Do your chairs fit people 5'2", and do you provide pillows?, Do you keep your Sand Tray Figures covered? Does your ceiling have an eye sores? I seem finicky now, but before I wasn't.

How about you?

Last edited:
I love my current T's office because it's a bit messy and cluttered. I thought it was because of my T, but she shares the space and it's the other persons. I dislike sterile environments and I want to see some exposure of personality, ie them to not be hiding themselves with barren decor.

I like the bookcase with books spilling out.

I'm the opposite, I decided not to work with a T whose office was way too cluttered with books spilling over and all kinds of stuff - ornaments and things - everywhere. My therapists office is neat and tidy, with personal bits and pieces but not cluttered, I can think clearly without wanting to give the place a good clean and tidy!

Through experience, I realize I feel more at home (yes, it is my style) in a more relaxed, slightly cluttered space. I relax a bit more.

There was one therapist I saw twice, who had a dog; not a qualified therapy dog, but behaved as such. Not knowing about Therapy Dogs, I didn't understand why the T brought his pet.

Fluorescent lighting, uggh. Not sure if it's the lights themselves or just the institutional feeling they evoke but they cause me some anxiety. Also a layout where the office is too close to the reception desk.

It doesn't bother me enough to quit though. The last therapist I saw was in a renovated old house with lovely wood floors and wood furniture and nice rugs and natural lighting... almost the perfect feel to the environment, but the therapist herself wasn't what I needed so I'm going for the more sterile environment and trying to close my eyes to it.

Oh, thanks for mentioning lighting-another important element! Can't do flouescent lights, nor sun glare- through the blinds. I never would've guessed sun glare would've been a problem, until, of course, during a longer, sunny, Spring day.

There is nothing in her office except the furniture, best, table, and file cabinet. No personal anything. It us located within a hospital. It doesn't bother me though because I'm not there to lose my focus on things around me. I'm there to keep focus on our conversation.

Honestly, I didn't notice much, not in the - furniture criticism sense or anything like that. That was details I really wasn't concerned with. The only thing about the offices I can't stand is all white / all black, anything else goes (a.k.a. doesn't make me feel trapped = I can roll with that.)

my therapist that i have now, her office is shared with another, they are two women and have decorated the small area they have... waiting room, bathroom, and the sitting room where they also have bit of office, its like stepping into a small apartment, its cozy and welcoming. on the wall behind where she sits, there is blank space and nothing to distract your attention from her and what she has to say. i feel comfortable there.

I keep coming back to this... Because my knee jerk reaction is that offices don't (haven't) affected me.

Big fat however... The two single most useful experiences I've ever had processing things were in the back of a rolling truck, and sitting on a pile of rubble. And there have been dozens of less pivotal points, but still far more useful than any office time I've spent, in the backs of moving vehicles & literally as the smoke clears.

So I've been thinking about this more and more recently. Poor little percolating brain ;). I think I process things better in motion. Not necessarily in situ, but that's helped as well. The images in my minds eye, and my actual eye lining up a smidge better. Or there being no image whatsoever (byproduct of being in motion). Like a non-compete clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back