• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Therapy and this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBeginnings

MyPTSD Pro
I have found this website/forum very helpful and validating. There is an incredible network of support - my experience has been very positive. I have not told my therapist that I have looked up stuff online or regularly post/contribute on this site. Does it matter and do others share this experiences on this forum/site with their therapist?

Yes, I will tell my T about this forum. I am not sure how she feels about it, maybe she thinks it could be triggering, which can be true.
I told her how I like to try to help people here and she said that is a good DBT skill to do positive contributing.

Mine is glad that the forum
- provides me support
- gives me language for my experiences
- brings stuff up for me, sometimes. It helps me to start conversations I didn't know I needed to have.
Also, I bring to her things that I learned here, and sometimes she says she hasn't heard something said that way before, and then I am glad I was able to offer her something new.

So I think this forum does matter. It has a positive affect on my life in a lot of ways - my T is glad of that - and she is glad when it helps inform our conversations.

Does it matter and do others share this experiences on this forum/site with their therapist?
I share what I learn and experience here with my Doctor I don't have a therapist at this time. I shared something with him about medications that I learned here and he told me that is was a very good way to look at it and we are trying it as we speak. I have told him lots of what I do here and he thinks it is all helpful. The thing that he has warned me about is becoming dependant on the site and spend to much time. To the point that you are doing nothing else. I should moderate my time spent here and make sure it does not take up all my time do other things. There is more to life than healing while very important to heal you need to give your self the time to acknowledge and process what your experiences are. He has always thought that what I am doing online is beneficial to me. I talked to him before I join he thought it would be ok just to be careful as you really never know who you are talking to.
Peace be safe

Part of my hesitation is that I am embarrassed that I can't handle everything in my own. My t has recently brought up that I don't have support that I can talk about things that come up. Upon reflection maybe it would be helpful if I shared. But then i wonder if she thinks it were not helpful then that would be worse. Once again I am afraid to do the wrong thing.

Part of my hesitation is that I am embarrassed that I can't handle everything in my own. My t...

Nobody can handle this on their own. We are social creatures who are designed to depend on one another. You can't override millions of years of evolution (even though modern society tries to make us think we can!) Meaning------we depend on each other for the minor, the mundane. So why not depend on each other when it comes to ptsd?

I am the same------well, I try to be fiercely independent. My guy is slowly making me see that I need to learn to depend on others. It's a difficult journey, but I'm slowly making progress!

I haven't simply because it has not come up. However, I imagine that she would tell me to be cautious of comparing and judging what I am experiencing versus others. Our distress may have some similarities, but they are entirely individual. As long as it is providing growth, I think it's fine. But, if you are finding yourself ruminating, fixating about things others are saying on here, and/or not being able to appreciate where you are at in your recovery then posting and reading on here is likely ineffective, if not harmful. The only way you and your therapist can be successful is if you are honest. Personally, I have a difficult time sharing things with my therapist (actually with anyone), but we've talked about it and she is really good at supporting me when there is something that needs to be said but I'm struggling to get it out.

Hi there crying.on.inside Thank you for this thread
Being embarrassed. I would be surprised if you said you weren't embarrassed. There are some awfully demeaning and horrible things that happened to us. I am still not able to voice the really bad parts in my teens when maybe I was the part of the problem. I was completely out of control and things happened that still today I am to embarrassed to talk about with anyone.
Peace be safe

My therapist knows about the site. Partially, because my sessions have recently been focused on trauma links to some conflicts I had from friendships I had made on here. Even with that, she has been supportive of the site and the positives I have gotten from it. I have found that I do better in connecting with my family and friends when I limit this site. I like to read the forums and chat, but that is usually during times when I am unwinding from my day and alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back