1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Things We've Learned About Self Since Participating In Forum

Discussion in 'Social' started by goingonhope, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

....When my heart is deeply involved in something, it's hard to let up.

....I much prefer positive attention to negative attention. Attention in and of itself, is neither good nor bad, simply is. We all need some attention in the course of our day.

....Where there is hope, I'm fired up, where there is hopelessness, I shrivel.

....That ugly, shaming voice of Judgement and 'Guilt tripping' does not flow forth from everyone in this world. In my case, it has simply become lodged and stuck, taking up full residence and control within my mind. It speaks nothing of realism and eveything of re-living the trauma. For me permitting this if, and when, I have choices, gives the thumbs up and allows my abusers and the trauma to have it's way with me. And, with PTSD this means to my bitter end. My days and end may not have to be bitter, and I may not have to provoke this end to come sooner.

Sethe and BloomInWinter like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Something more I've learned about self is...

....I've tended to in my life apply wishful thinking, minimize or fantasize about much. I've talked myself into something, ie. a responsibility, challenge or process only to turn around and talk myself back out again when the going has gotten real tough. Well, my willingness, this exposure trauma process (bringing my trauma to the light of day) and all the forum exposure feels like it's getting pretty tough. And I'm apt to look and fearfully anticipate that this is only a beginning and going to require much greater pain. Someone said it here on this forum: "Long term gain for short term pain." My habit of starting and quitting other things has caused failure in my past. That way, (my way) has got to end here and now, as despite what's up ahead, I'm just going to have to trust my family and I will get through because the alternative (my uncontrolled PTSD) has got to be far worse with longer lasting consquences than our work, in the here and now, freely offered and supported. Despite how painful it gets just hoping something greater will give me the strength demanded to keep pushing forward.

4. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I discovered I am not a totally beaten down victim. There is a strength in me that I did not know I had. I have come to see all my strength was being sucked up in trying to control this. Now I see it takes even more strength to start to let it go and out of me. And because of that I see I am not requiring as much effort as my first step now. The load gets lighter, I get closer to finding out who I really am, not what society and assailants have made me believe I was.

Srain and BloomInWinter like this.
  5. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

i've just discovered that i'm still trying to keep things "put away" in that box. kind of thought that was the whole point, to get everything cleaned up and put away again, i don't know how, but i know i have to get it out of the box and get rid of it, somehow. i think i thought "healing" was "dealing".

Srain likes this.
  6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I have learnt, that no matter how much I improve my own PTSD, that I can continue to improve it, change current trends from newer learning and knowledge, adapt various techniques to myself at once to treat one symptom, to constantly improve my self analysis capabilities. The best thing I have learnt though, is to just be me, to the best of my abilities.

7. Farmer

Farmer Active Member

I have learned that there is no magic pill that will make things better (dam it).

That I will have to deal with it head on and not hide from it anymore but take control of it not the other way around.

That I do have a right to have a life and feelings.

That I am not the ownley one in the world to have these feelings

8. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

I've learned that it doesn't make me weak to have to take meds. (Big one for me!!)

I've learned that I haven't lost 'me'. That even with PTSD I'm still myself-only with new adjustments to get used to.

Perfection is not required.

I've learned that some of the people you thought would be the first ones to help you and stand up for you are the first ones to turn their backs on you.

I'm very new to this board, but the one thing I've learned that has given me a lot of hope is that I'm not alone in this. Feeling bad AND feeling like you're the only one in the world that feels like this just plain sucks!

9. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

I have learned that I am not the only one feeling the way I feel!

I have learned that it IS possible to trust again, even if it's with faceless people I have never seen (like you guys!).

I have learned that my reactions are normal for what I went through and what I am still experiencing.

I have learned that I have a long way to go...and that you guys will be here for me! (THANKS!)

Srain and BloomInWinter like this.
  10. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

I've learned that having PTSD can make me stronger.

I've learned that there are friends that I can trust that I've never met.

I've learned that even thought I may be having a bad day, there is someone else on this board that is having a good day, and THAT is worth celebrating.

BloomInWinter likes this.
  11. darkskies

darkskies Active Member

I have learned that to deal with ptsd, you have to face it and not deny/avoid it - there is no quick fix.

I have learned that i'm not alone, others feel and think like i do, and those feelings/thoughts i thought were nerotic me, are actully quite typical and normal.

I am learning that it is ok to accept help, and that by receiving it doesn't reflect a weakness in me.

Acceptance/ptsd isn't final, it's the beginning of a continuous journey. Experiencing the ugly backtracking stops along with the beautiful sunshine stops makes the scenic route challenging but ultimately can reveal happier shores.

Srain likes this.
  12. Midnite

Midnite Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing here. It did give me a better understanding of where I stand now and how bad it can affect my life. And with appropriate effort and knowledge, it can be controlled.

My first step is to understand my situation and face the fear itself and not by avoiding or suppressing it. It’s ok to be afraid and weak, and facing it will cause me great fear, and most of us fear to discuss over it and I’m no exceptional. It’s normal to have a setback. It’s a game I’ll have to learn to play through better understanding and continuous learning. So I must be better well prepared and master it.

No matter how well I try to control it, there are times I may fail especially under overwhelming stress. It’s ok as I have to accept it as part of my life now, knowing my limit and find my ways to overcome this weakness, pull myself through during a bad day and live my best with it. It will be hard and difficult but it is not impossible.

Nobody can help me if I ‘m not willing to help myself. Each one of us is unique in our own way, others can only clearly shown the way but I must walk the path myself.

13. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Member

I'm new to this forum but I have already learned a lot about PTSD that is sure to help my BF and me.

I've also learned (actually have known this for 48 years!) that I tend to look at the world through rose colored glasses and I sometimes inadvertantly hurt people because I don't understand their pain.