• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Thinking About A Ptsd Tattoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worry about this for two people I know with PTSD. They have tattoos of tragic things. I worry about it because he has so many years to get better, to improve in health. To look at things differently. My concern would be that looking at the tattoo day in and day out would sear into their minds how it feels today and tomorrow and be almost an anchor of those feelings in better days. Not judging. I have never mentioned it to the people I know. Just wondering if that might be an issue and hold one back in the same old feelings that you are attempting to heal.

Well, I like reading everyone's thoughts and you can totally do what you want, and whatever feels meaningful. But with this sort of thing there is also no harm just waiting and getting the tattoo later if your feelings remain the same.

I relate to not knowing how to show my pain, or knowing the right places to share and just feeling completely isolated with it. I'm just glad I didn't get "Anorexic" tattooed to my arm even though 100% of my identity was tied to it for quite a while.

I guess many would think I'm a Veteran of war or

Sorry, just one more thought. Since many strangers will likely see and never strike up a conversation are you on some level hoping people assume this about you? I ask since you were able to imagine this...so wondering if part of you wants to be seen as a veteran (which would not be a genuine representation). I understand we've all had our own personal war. My knife scars would be my own battle wounds. But I don't actually identify with them or want to talk about them. Not that I'm ashamed either. There is just a place for the details. I say this all as a pretty reserved person, so that's my perspective.

With all the research yet going into trauma and trying to sort out possible different or sub catergories, I appreciate @FridayJones 's take on this too. Will it even be "PTSD" in 5 or 10 years? Is there an animal or symbol that can depict your battle? Or is it that you really want people to know you have PTSD and assume something particular about you (like just jump to the conclusion that you are a war veteran, etc)??

No I assumed I would prolly be thought that I was apart of the Military. I would be making myself making a false statement.......I think maybe wither get something that resembles the trauma I endured or write PTSD in another language very small like on my back shoulder. I understand and I thank everyones imput on this cause it has opened my mind to newer things.

I know this is an older post but the symbol I found representing PTSD is a teal ribbon. I too am looking into getting a tattoo to represent my struggles.
Mine will say :
Do Not Judge
You Don't Know What Storm
I've Asked Her To Walk Through.
God
I was then thinking of adding a small teal ribbon. Only a very small amount of people would even know what it symbolizes. Still not sure whether I'll add the ribbon or not, because I feel the tat itself speaks volumes to me.

My first tattoo was a Lone wolf sitting on a cliff, howling at a blood moon. The symbolism behind that image is everything I am. I didn't even realize when I got it, but the artist did the wolf in such a way that it looks like a Japanese wolf (my Martial Arts influence). My boyfriend at the time, also a PTSD sufferer who I lost to suicide, got me this tat for Christmas. I've been wanting to get more tats, but can't afford it right now. The others will have deep meaning, but none as deep as this first one. When it comes to ink, think LONG AND HARD about exactly what you want, because mistakes are difficult, painful, and expensive to fix. And as someone who is needle-phobic and spent the entire hour and a half squeezing my guy's hand getting this done, its not that bad pain-wise. Just stay away from bony areas, stick to large muscles. My wolf is on my right pectoral, gotta get the left pec done next :D

I wish I never got any tattoos done, the first one was my now Ex wife's name, the second one was my kids names (who haven't spoke to me in twenty years) the other one is a fraternity thing, like you do she you are in the forces?

Luckily, they have all faded now, over the years, and the names can't be read any more!

Never get names, so they say. Only deep meanings. I got a humming bird drinking from a flower. For me it was freedom, nature, my Native culture, and beauty.
My next one will say : Do Not Judge .You don't know what storm I've asked her to walk through. God
Debating on whether to add the teal ribbon for PTSD or angel wings or neither. But I will definitely get the wording.

True, I do tend to be sensitive to pain, yet crave it sometimes (hence the tattoo's and brutal Martial Arts training). My next one will be 2 lines of Kanji, one that says "Bushido" and the other is "Aku Soku Zan". Both have deep meaning for me as a Martial artist, Anime freak, and for my personal outlook on life. But these are going on the right upper arm. I'll get it done sometime next week.

I had thought about getting a child abuse ribbon tattoo, similar to this one. Except, I want mine to look like it is aflame, to represent the anger I feel, and also trickling some blood, to represent the former physical and now inner pain. Graphic, I know.

child-abuse-ribbon-tattoo-i6.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back