• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

This is hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey_03

MyPTSD Pro
So I posted before about needing to move out of my grandma's house, as my relatives are putting it up for sale any day now and the realtor will be bringing people in for showings.

I had decided to just stay put and try to tolerate the showings, but things are already getting out of hand. My relatives are having an estate sale and having everything in the house sold, literally everything. Which is generally fine with me, except they are selling the microwave and other things I use very often. (Yes, I can buy new things, but it does seem like they're doing this to try to get me to leave).

Some relatives came over today, without warning, and began throwing stuff out. Again, that's fine, because I know it needs to be done to sell the house, except they came in and started indiscriminately throwing stuff away that was in the cabinets -- including $100 worth of baby formula that I am using. This is exactly what I was worried about -- that my things would be thrown out in all the chaos, and that's what seems to be happening. Nobody informs me of what they plan to do in the house; I don't find out until it's happening.

All of the furniture in my room is also being sold in the estate sale, so I won't have any dressers or a bed anymore. Seems like a good sign they are trying to urge me to get out a.s.a.p.

The problem? I have no money to go anywhere. An uncle who owes me money has refused to give it to me, claiming he wants to "save it" so I can't spend it. I'm pretty sure he just spent it himself and is now trying to buy time to find more money.

This problem has really driven home for me how difficult my life is about to get. Up until now, I've been living here mostly rent free, so I've been able to survive on my $1000 a month salary.

But it's about to get a lot harder. I have no one to watch my baby and can't afford to pay for a day care or babysitter until I get a new job .... but I can't get a new job until I can find someone to look after my baby every day.

I'm starting to wonder why on earth I moved back here from Eastern Europe. It seems to have just made things worse. My family kept saying they wanted to help with the baby, and I wanted him to be closer to them, but he barely sees them, and when he does it's under circumstances that cause me immense stress. Nobody in my family seems to care about my dilemma.

The advice is to just "get a job." Well, even if I do, who's going to watch the baby? Will I bring him with me? I don't know anyone who will watch him for free. I know some companies offer daycare services, but I have yet to find any place in my line of work that does that, and I haven't seen that at any of the places I'm applying to.

Casey..you are back in the Stated because you had to get away from ahole.
Your family has been despicable since you and LM stepped off the plane.
And I am so sorry they are pushing yet again.
Have you told them you have to have a damned bed? Where were you when they three out the formula. Even someone who is braindead knows that was for the baby!
Speak up for yourself! You got nothing to loose at this point. You live in the States and can relocate where ever you want to.
Have you considered changing careeres until you can get in your feet. I know you like what you do...But this is getting ridiculous on your families part.
Poor LM and mom..just want some damned peace and security.
Speak up to them.
Sending you hugs for yet another bunch if crap from your family.
You are NOT their victim.

Yeah~ I believe you family is insisting you move. Maybe if you had a place they would give you the microwave and other things you'll need/want.

When I was young and needed a roof over my head for me and my son. I became a groundskeeper at some nice apartments. Yeah, I picked up trash but I didn't need a car because I lived there. It wasn't free but it was discounted. The rent came out of my check so as long as I did my job~ we had a place to live.

I'm not saying you need to pick up trash for a living ~ they have office personnel too. sometimes its about putting one foot in front of the other until you figure out your next move. and it sounds like you need a place to live quick. Hopefully, you receive a few suggestions and something will be of interest to you. I wish you the best and hope it all works out.

You got nothing to loose at this point.
I agree. I did speak up, and yelled at my uncle. But it didn't make much difference. See, if they would be considerate enough to give me warning when they are planning to throw a bunch of stuff away, I'd make a point to move all my stuff. But I didn't even know they were coming today, and didn't even know they were in the house (I have a noise machine for LM), so I didn't realize they'd done it until it was too late.

@Parley Thanks, I would settle for a groundskeeping job. I would settle for just about anything. And @ladee I definitely will change careers, cause journalism really isn't lucrative enough for a single mom.

But the bigger problem is what to do with my son when I'm working. Once I find a job and make some money, I can probably pay for a babysitter or daycare, but what do I do for those first few weeks before I get a paycheck? No one in my family is available to watch him, and I don't have any friends/acquaintances near me who will either. I'm trying to find a work-from-home job so I can stay home with him, but even then I will soon need someone to watch him while I work (he's nearly walking now).

Sorry, I realize this is one of those things that no one can really provide an easy answer to. And maybe, hopefully, it will be one of those things that will just work itself out. I guess I'm really just venting and in need of verbal support.

Thank you guys for commenting, I feel a bit better to know I've at least been heard by someone

They threw away baby formula?!

That's just morally wrong. It's also theft. It's generally a crime to toss out someone else's property, even if it's in your home; without any notice. And to deprive a baby of formula? Ugh.

Have you thought about asking any local churches for help? I know that can be a mixed thing for some people. Sometimes they have ministries for single moms who are not involved in the church but need help getting through. Some have housing and other options. Sometimes they may have someone who can even help babysit while that first paycheck comes.

Going back to school may be another option to get through.... sort of grasping at straws to think of better options than what you are facing.

A property management job might be a solution. It usually does come with free or discounted rent, and for small complexes, the ability to hold another job and/or work from home. Looking into technical or grant writing or other work from home jobs may also be another option. It's not idea to have a little one to care for while also working, but sometimes it's possible with a work from home job.

I'm so sorry your family is such jerks. :hug:

@Justmehere Thanks. The baby formula was in a bag, and they said they thought it was trash. Not sure why they wouldn't check what was in the bag, or why they would think I'd be storing trash in a cabinet ... but oh well. I'm trying not to go crazy over it. I am hoping I can find a work-from-home job. In theory, there are SO many things I can do from home and I have so many damn skills to offer in terms of writing/translating/transcribing ... but it seems to be harder than I thought to find a decent job that lets me do all that. I got a callback about a report-writing job for a corporate risk assessment company, and it seemed ideal, but then the boss blew me off on the day of the interview and ignored me when I followed up.

I am really hoping I can find something with a flexible schedule that has weekly deadlines but allows me to do the work whenever it's convenient for me. If I can find something like that, I can easily take care of the baby and work. Fingers crossed.

Hoping the right opportunities present for you.
It is so hard being a single mom. But I do support you trying to find something where LM is near.
Like you said..hopefully things will fall into place.
You are being pro active in finding solutions and can't wait for you to get away from that crazy selfish family!!
Side note..LM is almost walking??? You know I just get all mushy and stupid behind the baby.lol.
Give him tummy kisses for being such a big boy!
You are doing great Casey under sI much pressure.
Very proud of you.
Lots of hugs for you!

Adventeer is one of several sites out there where one might be able to get contractual work. It's not a long term solution, but perhaps a possible way to supplement the income you have now, and a step towards a better work from home job. You may already be aware of options like that...

Gosh, I'm just super impressed how well you are doing under the circumstances.

Things may get even harder for awhile, but they will get better again. I have a friend who was a homeless single mom for a time, and now is earning quite a bit at a great job, lives in a cute house, and her kids are doing so well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back