• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Those glitter poppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never_falter2

MyPTSD Pro
How do you feel about them? Am I the only one to feel that this is... sort of... odd... to sport such a glitter poppy. It more looks like fancy jewelery than like a poppy.
Not talking about the normal poppies but the glitter ones. How do you feel about them?

Donˋt me wrong. I am not offended by them. I just think they are... odd... not at dignified as the normal ones, wondering if there will be flashing ones one day... but then maybe there is a reason for the glitter I do not see.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have them here too @Sweetpea76.

You'll see more of them now as were coming up on Veterans day. The people taking donations at the red lights on corners and at stores.

Haven't seen the glitter ones though.

I knew about the poppies in general... they're more of a British thing for Rememberance Day. They're not popular in my neck of the woods, and you rarely see many people, if any, wearing them. However, if people are wearing them for Veterans Day they have the wrong idea. They should wear them for Memorial Day to honor the fallen.

What I was saying is I've never seen any kind of glitter or embellished poppy in the US.

I found the poppies @Never_falter is referring to.
I don't think it's offensive either, but good lord. They're hideous.
Here's a link. poppyshop.org.uk

Apparently the money goes to the appropriate charities, just as the regular poppy fund money does.
Some of them do look very nice, and expensive. (Just saying, not a complaint. If the money is going to the vets, and honouring the fallen. Awesome.)

I just about died when I saw the premier league football poppies. But hey, whatever works to get people donating. Taste in fashion is subjective after all.

Yep - they are just plain ugly. We have plastic poppies that sell for $2 or a metal pin in the shape of a poppy that goes for $5. I always buy the metal pin - partly to donate a little more money and partly because it looks so much better on a work outfit. I've never seen anything glittery here but will report back as they are not selling the poppies on the street yet - maybe later this week.

There's lots of different types now. It used to be you only ever saw the little plastic and paper ones that would fall off ten minutes after you bought them. Now you get metal ones, jewelled ones, big ones for your car, and this year I've seen knitted ones. Not sure that the cost of purchase outweighs the cost of production (which is meant to be the point), but I guess the thought is there. That glitter one is pretty ugly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back