• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Throw-together Dinners Without Any Recipes, Using What You Find In The House!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MT Johnny

Confident
I'm sick of always gloomin' and doomin' over my life. I actually cooked two nights ago, rather than just grab whatever ...

So, I pawed through the pantry and fridge, and came up with ground round, a jar of canned pasta sauce, Prego Spinach Florentine, a can of no-salt added tomato sauce, a package of manicotti, a small carton of cottage cheese, the tail end of a block of Dubliner cheese (a lot like Parmesan, but from Ireland), and a very small 3 ounce log of goat cheese.

So, it was cheese stuffed manicotti in meat sauce. Went together in like 20 minutes, baked for an hour, viola.

Thrown together anything interesting lately?

I throw some frozen corn into Progresso's Lentil soup and that makes up a complete protein. I like the taste of the sweet corn as it balances with the tangy flavor of the soup. Then I just make a salad and have some whole wheat bread with some humus on it. This is an easy meal to throw together and it takes very little time to prepare.

I tend to be very Italian in my cooking... Less ethnicity, more ethos... One meal blends into the next, and the next, and the next ;) Saves a lot of effort & money.

Most recently it was shimp Po'boys, turned jambalaya, turned stuffed peppers. Leftovers are frozen. Some of the peppers I'll just eat later, but I'll probably cook the rest down & turn it into clam sauce or seafood Gaspacho or stuffing or something.

The hardest thing for me is to start cooking. Once I start? I've got food for a week. If I don't start? Living off fruity pebbles & a spoon in the almond butter. Don't mix those, btw. It's gross. Colorful, but gross.

We had leftover cheese fondue...how does that happen? It wasn't anything fancy. It was my "kid friendly" version... a combo of swiss, gruyere, some white cheddar and a little gouda made with apple juice instead of wine.

I reheated it the next day and poured it over macaroni noodles... OMG. I may have to make that on purpose sometime with the grown-up fondue.

Lately, I have been buying a product I find in the Asian section of Coles supermarket (in Australia). It's in the Indian sub-section. A product called The Spice Tailor by Anjum Anand. It is a cardboard pack with three envelopes. All Indian curries. Very very yum. All you need to add is some kind of meat and vegies. It costs about $5 a pack and that feeds three people with lots of sauce. My favourites are Keralan Coconut Curry , Tikka Masala and Punjabi Curry. I think there's about ten different ones and I like them all. Just as good as a meal out.

Had some leftovers from a birthday party. Threw all the left over ingredients (onions, mushrooms, boiled ham, salami, paprika, corn and cocktail tomatoes) in one pot. I browned everything, added sieved tomatoes, some spices (sugar, salt, pepper, basilikum, oregano, chili, hot paprica, parsley) and also added some waiter and made it boil. ...then I added some pasta and cooked everything until the pasta was fine to eat.

@FridayJones Why can't you eat cheese anymore because of PTSD? Is it to do with meds (MAO inhibitors)

Bugger. Cheese is a gift. Yesterday I got food organised and bought a chicken, chopped it into pieces because I like the ribby bits and cooked coated in Tandoori paste. (I hate chopping up a chicken, really hate it). I also bought a triangle of blue vein cheese and will crumble some of that into greek yoghurt for a dressing.

Yep. Orgasm city.

@Flossy... Unfortunately, a common side effect of stress is dairy intollerance. Tends to start off with lactose intollerance, and then progresses on to no longer manufacturing any of the enzymes to break down the other milk sugars, proteins, & lipids. Repeated exposure to indigestible foods then tends to trigger allergies to them. I'm so sensitive to dairy, now, I can't eat just about anything that's not kosher or vegan. Even (non-kosher) meats that have been transported usually have casein (a milk protein) added to them to help retain color & flavor. The "tell" is whenever anything says "natural flavors"? It's usually a milk product. There's milk based stuff in 1,000 things I'd never have thought of. Calcium lactate to aid in free flowing in spices, calcium propionate in breads as a preservative... And nearly none of them have to list dairy as an ingredient if it's a sourced protein, sugar, fat, or mineral... Or as long as they have the 'natural juices' or 'natural flavors' tag on it. LOL. I've made a whole heckuva lot of phone calls over the past few years. Maybe 1:150 are dairy free.

I suppose I'd rather get violently ill from eating dairy than lose my hair or develop ulcers or cardiac problems. Maaaaaybe. ;) This is butter we're talking about, here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back