• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Tips for catching your emotions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyska

Learning
Basically, I have been having this problem where my emotions go by in in my head at the speed of light and it makes it very hard to do any kind of therapy if you can't tell your T how you're feeling. I've been attempting mindfulness for over a year now but i don't think it's working very well so anything other than that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

I get that so many times, and what I learnt was, for me, I wasnt ready to deal with them - so it was kind of like a fleeting thought of something painful for example, but it was gone before I could really recognise it. Takes me a couple of days to start to look at it.

I am assuming you have a lot of emotions yet to be dealt with?

I get that so many times, and what I learnt was, for me, I wasnt ready to deal with them - so it was kind...
Yeah, I'd say so. A lot of the time while i was being abused I hadn't really felt anything. The thoughts of "I don't care that this is happening." and "This isn't ACTUALLY happening." Would sort of replace any feelings I would have or should have gotten. Now it's just kind of...well, I don't know what this is or where it came from or why I feel this particular feeling in my body.

To me, thats your brain telling you it isnt ready to deal with those emotions yet. Just need to tell you...
I wish there was something I could do to help ready it...exercise, eating well, etc, just something to make it stronger for when the time to recognize my feelings has come. I have actually been able to do it before for a brief time but was unable to keep it up unfortunately and I can't remember what I did to help it. A lot of brain fog went away when I could so I'm just trying to speed up the process to get my life going.

Im learning that its kind of like telling you leg to just heal. Stop being broken and just heal dammit. Makes no difference does it. Only time and a willingness to accept change seems to work.

Same with our heads. Our brains put in incredibly powerful defence mechanisms to defend itself against all attacks, physicaly, mental etc. Dont push yourself to get better too quickly. I did that, and went back to work, and 2 years later, I suffered even more for it as a result. For me, it was like my brain saying "now this time, just listen to me dammmit"

Just thought of another analogy, being Christmas eve and all.

Like a really sexy woman/man who you have always desired saying - now lie there and let me finish what I started. Lets be honest, you wouldnt move in anyway unless they told you to. :D Think of it that way - eventually, your brain will win regardless of what your intentions are. I had to have two breakdowns before I realised this. Now, I am just "lying" here, letting it do what it needs to do to try to get me in a better place, with the occasional "nudges" just to make sure things are going ok. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back