• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Tired of entitled spoiled employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous

MyPTSD Pro
I am a manager responsible for negotiating collective bargaining contracts. I have four units that I work with but only two that set my temper off every time they seem to walk in the door. Last year our employer changed health and prescription insurance carriers due to a proposed rate increase of over 46% for the coverage renewal. The collective bargaining agreements state that equal to or BETTER coverage has to be maintained which in the US under the ACA is really impossible. However, we did it, the employees with the change saw a 1.5% decrease in their premiums, the company now pays for their deductible (previous didn't have a deductible which doesn't exist anymore and the company pays the difference in the increase in Dr. office visit copays and prescription copays for the first two tiers of medication.

Because these two groups can't get their crap together and submit the necessary information they and only they are seeing delays in reimbursement, they and only they are having issues getting visits covered and sent to collections. We have been trying to work with them through several steps of the process but they believe that the company owes them not only better benefits and pay than anyone else in the company because the company will now not pay an additional amount to offset their non-existent challenges they have filed to take this to arbitration. I am so angry I could scream and I just needed to vent. I have never worked with such a small group of people 16 over all that were really this freaking self-entitled and selfish. They don't even seem to care that if they win in arbitration which I hope to tell they don't what it is going to cost them is a co-worker because we are already doing organization wide budget cuts and if we have to find extra money for this in their budget it will without a doubt be in the form of an employee or two.
ARRGGHH!!!

@The Albatross what I have for management tools are the general ability to see both sides of a situation. I have other members of the negotiating team that can assist when my ability to get my point across fails me. I have a strong sound financial budget that clearly shows the reasons that we made the change to the insurance, that the union was notified and accepted the changes. I have the alternative solutions and the extra steps that we have taken to resolve this situation. I have a benchmarking spreadsheet that shows that by comparison to like employee groups in the metro area (one of the largest in the US) they are demanding a benefit and level of service that far exceeds their peers. And finally the last remaining tool that I have which I have explained over and over thoroughly in light of recent overall organizational budgeting, there is not a spare penny in the coffers and demands for additional benefits, raises, equipment etc can only financially be granted at the expense of the employees i.e.: layoffs. Their collective group/departmental budget currently exceeds 45% of the overall organizational operating budget.

You can only explain the companies position so much. If they still can't understand that, then maybe layman's terms? You can't change an entitled attitude, or make them see why they don't deserve more. If someone else can talk with them about their issues I would hand it off to that person. If not, just bite down and bear it. "Yes I understand your concerns but at this time we cannot afford to do that", "I can't provide special privileges just because you feel you deserve them", "You can always find another job with better benefits (not sure if you would get in trouble with that)". Sorry you have to deal with that. Try not to go crazy in the mean time.

I am a manager responsible for negotiating collective bargaining contracts. I have four units that I...
I think when you have the kind of disorder we do, it tends to make you more intolerant and impatient with idiots. My late husband and I both had/have severe PTSD, and we just couldn't deal with stupidity, entitlement, and illogic. So I sympathize. My last job, before I was disabled was getting a Police Department accredited, and try telling Police Captains and a Major how they have to change there practices. And they were very intelligent people, but stubborn as mules. Once I retired from there, after getting the department accredited as the ONLY one in the state, my brain just collapsed. So keep checking (or have a trusted friend checking) to make sure you don't "flame out" like I did from the frustration. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back