• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Tired

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOrange

MyPTSD Pro
Spent Monday to Friday last week learning about mental illness and how to help people in a classroom setting.

Asked a friend on Friday evening if they were suicidal, the answer came back 'yes', and so we spent an hour on the phone.

The moment I got off the phone, I went into a living room where a different friend related a childhood experience that I found absolutely horrifying. Seems to met that said friend has undiagnosed PTSD.

I'm tired, and I need a break. But I'm really not sure how to feel good about myself when I'm not helping.

What do you do when the compassion fatigue makes you feel numb?

what i've found fairly helpful...is finding the thing(s) that ground my life, and i'm not talking about "i'm in a panic or crisis and need grounding"...no. more like this-is-one-reason-i'm-alive-grounding. so for me that's connecting with nature or reading a good book or savoring an excellent cup of coffee. small touch-points that ground my life to Life, if that makes any sense. then once i've refilled i'm better able to be helpful to others.

hmm. not sure i made much sense.

Sounds overwhelming. We can't really know if what we do helps anyway, but if you're numb you can't really be 'present', & usually that numbness or lack of emottion or connection will be sensed anyway. You have to take care of yourself.

Obviously you can tell them you're overwhelmed or your head is spinning atm. or if you're not comfortable doing that, you are aware what would discourage you if it were reversed will likely do the same, eg. disengagement, avoidance, withdrawl, etc. That should eventually end their disclosure to you.

Good luck. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back