1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

To Members With PTSD, Please Help

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by IadoreHim, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IadoreHim

IadoreHim New Member

Hello,
    I am happy to have found this forum. My husband has been diagnosed with PTSD. We have been married for 2 years and together for 6. For a long while I have felt that he doesn't want me anymore and is disinterested in me. It made me very depressed because I love him so much. I had an epiphany a couple of days ago that it is not me. I am so sorry for thinking it was, I hope I did not aggrivate him further. I am trying to be more patient and understanding. But it is so hard to feel ignored most of the time. I now realize he is not doing it out of spite or disinterest, but he is just anxious and on edge all the time. Sorry, let me get to my point. I am wondering, for those that have been diagnosed, or feel they have PTSD, do you have any recommendations on how I can help him? (I know he has to work through things on his own) but are there certain things I should try to avoid, or times I should be particularly more understanding and flexible? Please, I would appreciate any comments on this, I adore him.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)
    Well, I do not know if I can advise anything, just because people are so different, and what works for one person may not work for other one...
    But here is something which worked for me.
    My husband and me both have PTSD, he is more mild than I am. Sometimes I just feel that I need to be left alone for a while, and during such period he feels as I am losing interest in him. We talked about it.
    If I am not interested in any intensive communication, he either leaves, or stays with me, but being quiet and silent. For example, we may sit together on a couch, or just be in the same room and not talking. This silent support really works for me much better than a care and patiency expressed in sweet words and hugs would.
    Again, I do not know you situation... But that helps us.

4. porkyrees

porkyrees Member

Iadore,just keep doing what you are doing support him but dont push him into anything he doesnt feel ready for.Good communication with each other is important and if he seems very withdrawn and quiet just leave him be do not nag him under any circumstance.Just go away and do something else he will talk about things when he is ready.Porky Rees

5. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

welcome to the forum, iadore. read here and under the spouses section. maybe get him to read here, too.
    cathy

6. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

Welcome iadore :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar