• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship To Respond Or Not To Respond To Ex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caligirl03

Confident
I'm a supporter and have been broken up with my sufferer for a little over 2 months, with absolutely no contact for 1 month. I've posted here a couple times about how hard it's been to adjust, asking for advice on how to cope, etc. as I was madly in love with this man and quite honestly still am.

So the strangest thing happened today, a month to the day since we've spoken a single word to each other. I was out running errands not too far from where I live when I had to stop at a major intersection for an ambulance to pass through. For a fleeting moment I wondered whether it could be my sufferer in there (he's former-Army-turned-civilian paramedic) even though I couldn't see the medics in any kind of detail. The thought passed as quickly as it came, and I went about my errands. But then about an hour later when I checked my phone, I had a text from none other than my ex saying he was pretty sure he had just seen me at the intersection where I had just been!! I nearly passed out! Very bizarre coincidence, especially since I had "sensed" it could be him without even seeing him. (By the way, I live in a huge city where it would be very unlikely to cross paths at all.)

So my question is...should I respond? And if so, what should my response be like? For anyone wondering, we broke up due to his unwillingness to seek treatment for his PTSD, which was growing increasingly worse and eventually ruined us.

If I was in your shoes I would politely ask how he is doing and how treatment was going. If he says he isn't getting any then you have no expections that things will work out better this time around.

Do you actually want to re-involve him in your life?

I ask because if you do, you need to be sure it won't de-rail your own recovery. I made the decision to continue to have my ex in my life, we've been speaking much more lately, she's been opening up again too, but there's no guarantee it'll go well, but I've gotten to a place where I can handle it without it shaking my recovery too much. I've had a few revelations lately that make it a lot easier to be around her without feeling too much pain or anguish.

Are you ready for that?

If you're not, I'd not start interacting too much.

So I replied to him and said that yes, it was me he saw. Then he said I ought to get the cover on my jeep fixed, and I said it will be time to take it off again soon. Then he said good to see that I'm "alive and whatnot" to which I replied "ha thanks you too", and that was all. Meh, fairly cold and anti-climactic. Why even reach out at all I wonder?

Reactions: tlc
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back