1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Too Many Diagnoses

Discussion in 'General' started by jade, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade

jade Active Member

Sorry everyone but I really need some input here. After years of many, many, different diagnosises I find myself questioning if I really have PTSD or something more complex. My biggest fear is that when I meet my new Doctor that after the psyc evaluation is done that they are going to tell me that I am Schizophrenic and take me away lock me up and throw away the key.Is there a specific phobia for medical diagnosises? If so I'm on the top of the list. Unless its concrete I can't grasp it. I can't take another well maybe its this or maybe its that. It leaves too much area in between to beat myself up. Life is not easy but I am putting myself through hell just trying to find out what exactly is wrong. Dear lord somebody just put me out of my misery PLEASE!!!!!!!:cussing: :angry-fla

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Jade, there is a very very big differene between PTSD and being Schizophrenic, just to clarify that one. Let me guess... you imagine you see dead people, images, voices, pains, tastes, etc etc?

4. jade

jade Active Member

No I don't see dead people. Images, voices, pains yes. I didn't say I think that. I am just afraid of the end results of the evaluation. I can tell you this much though, when I get to the place I'm in right now it's as if someone else is taking over. When I go back and read the posts at a later time I think to myself did I really write this? I know I did but these reactions are not me. I literally shock myself with what I've written. I feel as if I am in no-mans land with no place to belong. Grasping at straws as my mom would say.

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Jade, what you describe then is all perfectly within the realms of PTSD. Flashbacks are a symptom, and as such, flashbacks incorporate such things as: a mental image of an event, voices, seeing people as they feel right in front of you, pains, taste, smells, touch, sounds, etc etc... these are all encompassed within flashbacks. Often people have a perception that flashbacks are like reliving a movie or something, when in fact they are very rarely seen that way, more through the five senses themselves, reminders of past trauma and events. All perfectly normal with PTSD, and doctors know this... well, any doctor worth their credibility anyhow.

You will always get the idiot doctors present within society, ie. a recent conversation here about a doctor trying to tell a person they have Bi-Polar merely because they react bad to medications. When you look at the actual diagnostic criteria, more like they met one criteria for it, but this doctor believes they are bi-polar because of reactions to medications. Never once apparently does it cross this doctors mind, that medications are a chemical, thus our bodies often don't respond well to third party chemicals.

What this means, is that you as the patient need to stop believing everything doctors tell you, and instead research the facts for yourself, without their skewed antics that they somehow have developed. There isn't much information thats not available these days with the net, so even if a doctor ever does try and label you, you can research for yourself and determine whether the doctor has a clue or not, then question your doctor armed with facts, not bullshit as they seem to think patients are stupid, lesser than them or something. Education is key Jade, have no doubt, and when things get thrown at you, take it for what its worth, a grain of sand, research yourself to determine whether they know what their talking about or simply trying to feed you BS.

6. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

My diary/novel is titled years of misdiagnosis, so I get it. Then behind the last two which are PTSD and once treated for PTSD I see a change and it ain't always pretty, it is hard changes. Then they like to tag 101 additional crap on that list that would be non exsistant with out PTSD at play! You can feel over whelmed.

BTW I was the one who went in and some nut job said she thinks I was bi polar at initial visit and wondered about Mutipule personality disoreder as I blank out and don't recall some of the things I say or type... our memory is SHOT during PTSD at its worst and during recovery. My mind used to be very sharp and seeing Anthony's mind at work give me hope I will get it back! So NO I don't have multipule personalities - smartass hubs asked if I had that would one be a nice one? Har har. She was really pushing bi polar by second visit hard... I am irritable, and don't react well to SSRIs.

She is not even a real doctor grrrr, and had none of my files yet.

But them adding things to the list behind PTSD is normal. Like mine (let me see if I can recall all) Depression (no brainer but it is improving) Agoraphobia, Simple phobias - I have an unreasonable fear of drowning (I lived in a hurricane prone area, that flooded a lot so not a shocker) I have an unresonable fear of and meds except xanax. And I have a fear of taking it too and all my phobias scream loud when I don't take it. I almost fainted after blood drawn and shots so needles are my phob there(later learned I was not going to faint those were mild panic attacks). Anger issues, Panic Disorder OCD. May be more, can't remember, it was a laundry list. Point is it is PTSD

I can feel the pains of attacks and abuse past out of the blue along with smelling, feeling, seeing, hearing during an occasional flash back. I also have times of hypervigilence. Not often but I earned that one with a nut job stalker breaking in to my home and truck.

Maybe go read the first page of my diary and see how scattered the diagnosis was for me before I had doctors who took the time to dig, and had me answer a swear a million questions rather than the docs who ask a couple and form a conclusion! I put it in public so it can be picked through and find stuff realevant to others ( I know it is long but the info you may need is in the first page.

I don't so much mind the multi lable behind the PTSD anymore because I know it is normal for us not to share every other symptom, we vary. So I think as long as the docs keep it to them self or say we need to work on this aspect of your PTSD... I think it keeps it tidy so docs can look for quick reference to see what symptoms are most prevelant to you as an individuial.

I have been told it was my nerves, bi polar, mania, blah blah blah....

Also, I know and it is normal not to think it is really PTSD. But soon as you ascept it and work on it you see change. I was miffed as I finallywas really getting to a point of OK I do have this. Yes, I was still in denial to a degree. I am not now. It is a big step accepting it. That was why I wanted to backhand the therapist for pulling bi polar out her ass.

Opps there goes that irritiability she spoke of LOL... Don't worry much, you are in good company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar