• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Took The First Step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMC_1987

Learning
Well, after about a solid year of procrastinating I've finally taken the first step in the right direction and booked an appointment with a private psychologist. I've known for a long time I needed therapy, about 6 months ago I almost mustered up the courage to contact someone but ended up chickening out. For me its much more comfortable to keep things buried then to actually deal with them, the idea that I'm going to have to pull everything out of the tickle trunk one by one in front of a complete stranger is pretty nauseating to me. I hate showing any type of vulnerability.

I have no idea what to expect, so for our first meeting I requested a consultation just so that I can understand the process and how I can benefit from it. A soft introduction, if you will.

So, so, so, nervous.

I sure hope it works out.

Remember you don't have to give any details until you feel safe or comfortable or ready. You can say no at any time.

Best of luck!

How exciting! And what a great first step! Way to go, @SMC_1987!

And a "soft introduction" can be good, so you can find out what their general approach to therapy is. And I think @franciemarnie's advice is great, as you don't have to do anything until you feel safe enough to do so.

Best of luck! I'm rooting for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back