• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Trauma From Bad Drug Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grechen

New Here
I have ptsd from a bad drug trip. I have never even heard of ANYONE who had such a strong reaction. But i couldnt shake it. It was extremely traumatic. I spent hours and hours beleiving that i was dead or dying. There was no form to my trauma. it was pure, unadulturated. I cant explain what happened. but it did. And i still have trouble reconciling my life in this world after feeling so far gone. I know it wasnt "just drugs". has anyone else experienced ptsd from a bad drug trip?

Well, I had a reaction similar to yours when I was in college and decided to trip on 'shrooms. However, I had already experienced trauma, and my trip was a re-experiencing, but times 10.

I really bad trip like that can be traumatic. However, is it possible the trip just re-activiated some other traumatic memory?

yeah, i had a bad trip on acid, which screwed me up for quite a while (over a year). i took some blotter acid and when i didn't immediately feel it, did some more... the flash backs were nasty, but they eventually went away. i wonder if you could look to forums like erowid for other similar experiences? maybe you could google 'bad trips' or 'traumatic drug trips?'

not that i am aware of...i mean I was in a lot of denial at the time about myself. Also had experienced a death pretty recently. Did you have ptsd symptoms from your trauma before the bad trip or did they only come after, like was that what knocked you out of denial?

What type of drug was it? How many times had you used that drug previously? Where were you when you were using? Alone in a group? Was someone with you the whole time? There may be other factors that contributed to the experience.

i had a very bad time on shrooms/ecstasy when i first developed PTSD. It was horrible.

Recently tried shrooms after a ten year gap and found them highly entertaining. Also, very very relaxing. A mild dose brought me down from a very agitated state to almost normal. They broke the cycle.

Hi Grechen, welcome to the forum. It is often theorized that those who do drugs whilst young often create a predisposition to PTSD later in life due to the damage drugs often do to the brain, what the subconscious takes in whilst drugged, etc. I do not believe there is currently a hard fact, though last I read it was quite close to finding the exact fact that causes the issue within the brain and creates a flaw if you like to open the door on anxiety.

psychedelics can be rather scary if you have a panic attack while on them. Even certain kinds of sativa strain marijuana can intensify a panic attack due to its stimulant nature (happened to me a few times)

What did you take if you dont mind me asking?

i was assaulted as a teenager and a few weeks after smoked weed. i had more than usaul to see what it would be like to be really stoned. it was horrible, i kept losing sense of reality and zoning out. i couldnt recognise my friends sitting next to me or even think of who i was. i had the notion that maybe i didnt even exist. at that point i started to panic and experienced my first panic attack.
a few weeks later at work i started experiencing the same sensations. i lost myself in the same sort of thoughts and from then on i became overcome with constant panic attacks and irrational thinking.
it took me a year to get control of my life, but i did eventually start thinking normally again. i found keeping myself busy, facing my fears and changing my surroundings helped immensly.
i now still occasionally get panic attacks but i have learnt how to deal with them. i have found that over all i have become a more open minded person through this whole experience.

Jazz,

That is great that you are able to regain control over your thoughts within a year. Did you have support? Can you share three things that you believe help you most. I am sure the information can potentially help many. How do we successfully retrain the our chemistry to help us regain control over our lives? Good stuff.:clap:

Flame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back