1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trazodone For Sleep

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by nic, Feb 26, 2008.

1. nic

nic New Member

Hi there,

Has anyone ever been on Trazodone to help them sleep? I just got it perscribes, and I' supposed to take in in an hour or two, and I was wondering what other people's experiences on it (if any) have been?

Thanks,
    nic
  2. 2quilt

2quilt New Member

that was all I ever did on Trazadone!
  3. Shoshin

Shoshin New Member

Nic,

Long before my bipolar and PTSD were diagnosed, I was given Trazadone for depression and sleeplessness. Turns out it does not do much for depression, but I have used it successfully for sleep.

I have been taking it every night since about 1983. I am on 75mg right now, and it does the trick. Within about 45 minutes I am sleepy enough to drift off. Do NOT drive or expect to do anything that requires heavy lifting or heavy thinking after you take Trazadone.

I like it, because I have never had side effects, and it is way better than sleep loss or other questionable sleep aids...It has my endorsement.

I am not a doctor, and this is only personal opinion...
  4. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

I have been on Trazdone for a few years taking 50 mg. I had no side effects and was not drowsy the next day. Each person is different. Try starting on a weekend if you work and see if it makes you drowsy.
    sunnydaze
  5. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Hi nic, It's something, how each person responds differently to same medications. I took trazadone 50mg yrs. ago and all it seemed to do was bring on restless legs and that would nightly drive me just about bonkers waking me if I dare doze off, and still on good evenings when the restless legs were not acting up due to side effects, I'd still lay there unable to sleep. I'd lay there exhausted for hrs. thinking der' I thought this stuff was going to maybe work and allow for some sleep.

Anyhow, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. It might very well help as it does others.

Only my experience with it.

Hope
  6. nor

nor New Member

I've been on trazadone for sleep aid for a few years now (can't remember when I started). Just know that I don't have any side effects the next day, My dosage is not very high-but at one point it did get up there when I needed it to (under doctor supervision of course).

I was concerned that once I started taking trazadone, that I would never be able to fall asleep "naturally" anymore. Not so. Lately, I haven't needed it and it is fine. If I have a particularly bad day, I'll take one.

I like it. Just my opinion though-it may not work for everyone the same (like hope)

Good Luck!

nor
  7. She Cat

She Cat VIP Member

Hi Nic,

I was on Trazadone for about 11 yrs. Worked great and I finally weaned myself off and went into normal sleep pattern. The thing is...Not every drug will work the same for everyone. We are all different, and can tolerate different things, have different side effects and the such.....

I found the drug very good for me, I hope it works as well for you.
  8. Hope

Hope New Member

Hope this works

I was on Trazadone for a couple of months and the only thing it did for me was help my headaches. It did not make me sleepy; however I have been on about 10 sleep meds and none worked. I hope you have better luck with it and peaceful sleeping!

Hope
  9. captrn1

captrn1 New Member Premium Member

Hi nic

I was on 25 mg then 50 mg of Trazadone for about 1 1/2 years as needed. It helped me fall asleep but left me very groggy in the mornings at first. I did have some problems with restless legs (a bar of soap under the sheet cured that). I have been able to wean myself from it and only use it as a last resort now.
  10. Cindy

Cindy New Member

Nic:

I've been on Trazodone for many years and it really works great. My dosages have varied depending on how much I am resisting sleep. I have been on as high as 300mg at night, and up to 200mg during the day to reduce hypervigilence. I also avoid taking it sometimes because in the morning it takes me more than one coffee to get my head together ( a little groggy) but it gives me drool sleep without nightmares and panic attacks.

You can start and stop it pretty easily, and take it on an as need basis. I like that part being able to decide when and how much.
    Talk it over with the medical professional who prescribed it about what dosage you actually need for what situations.
  11. cookie

cookie New Member

Hey. I've taken trazodone for a couple years now. it works most of the time. If i am really upset, it calms me down but doesn't always make me sleep. most of the time, i take 75 mg. it works best without making me groggy in the morning. a higher dose tends to make it hard for me to get up in the mornings.

The most important thing about getting it to work right is to take it with a small amount of something FATTY (very important) so it will break down. i take mine and eat a tsp. of peanut butter, just a little as it is late.

One of the less side effects, no addiction drugs. you have more control over things than it does. Hope it works for you.

cathy
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
  12. nic

nic New Member

Thanks, Cathy,

I'm going to try your PB trick.
  13. Walksinlight

Walksinlight New Member

I have been taking trazodone together with Clonazepam for about 4 months now and the relief that I felt for actually getting sleep after PTSD was triggered was wonderful. My doctor had to play with the dosage for a while but put me up to 3x50 mg trazadone and 3 Clonazapam.

Recently I have been weaning myself off these (and the zoloft) and got down to 2 Trazodone and NO clonazapam for a while. After a bad night I took a couple of clonazapam with the Trazodone again and had a fabulous night's sleep again.

I am kind of scared to stop completely because I have always had trouble sleeping. However therapy has uncovered a lifetime of abuse and unresolved PTSD and I am hoping that now I will be able to sleep naturally.

I am intending to cut out the Clonazapam again and go down to 1 Trazodone for a while and see how that goes (especially while I am away vacationing with my husband in a very relaxing place). I have never had any problems with Trazadone even though initially with the mix of both meds I was a bit drowsy in the morning until I got used to it.

In my humble opinion, it is easy to wean yourself off trazadone but I have also seen that some people take it for many, many years - it is not addictive and it is not really necessary to stop taking it. It is just my personal preference to be able to go without medications.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
  14. BloomInWinter

BloomInWinter Confronting the Blind Spots Staff Member Premium Member

Trazodone was the first medication that truly helped me get to sleep, and stay asleep most of the night.

After decades of never having more than 2-4 hours of sleep a night, it was literally like a miracle to me. It's amazing how much easier my days are emotionally when I get good sleep.