• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Trazodone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, my Psychiatrist just recommended Trazodone for my severe insomnia problems ( I go days without any sleep at all and it has lead to serious medical problems ). I was just wondering for those of you who have tried it, how it has affected or helped you. Please let me know. Thanks :)

I can't help a lot with this, but I took it briefly about 15 years ago for the same reason. I think the trazadone did what it was supposed to do for me. The problem was the wellbutrin they prescribed to go with it. I had a real bad reaction to that, so after a week or so I was off both.

I have been taking trazadone, 100 mg each night for about 6 months. It has been a lifesaver for me as without it, I couldn't sleep at night. I'm not groggy the next day either. Generally I sleep 6-8 hours tonight when I take it, and I don't wake up throughout the night. I hope this helps.

I also take Trazodone nightly for sleep. On a lower dose it shouldn't make you too "hung over" feeling in the morning, at least not once you get used to it. It's a pretty safe and widely used medication for sleep, though it is technically classified as an antidepressant.

Hope it works for you and you are able to get some sleep!

Last edited by a moderator:
I took Trazodone and I had very high hopes for it :) . Usually you know if it works pretty much immediately, it will help you sleep within an hour, reducing anxiety the next day and cumulatively alleviating depression over time. Which is awesome, though as with most meds you may have negative side effects. For a rare few (of which I was one) it does nothing - no positive, no negative nothing. The great thing however is I knew within a few days and went on to try something else straight away rather than waiting around for months to feel no effects, then have to be off of a medication for a while before trying the next. I would say try it, you don't have anything to lose but of course that decision is yours. Good Luck. :)

I would not recommend trazodone at any circumstances because of what I have experienced.

I took trazodone in the past and I don't like how it affected me. This medication caused me feeling groggy, delayed with thinking processing, too many vivid dreams, and it made my PTSD (That time I didn't know - Right now, I know why) much more worse.

I take 25-50mg a night, depending on how many hours I can devote to sleep.

According to my psychiatrist, the lower doses are used more as a sleep aid, the higher doses when it's being used as an antidepressant.

I have been on Trazedone and Risperdone for the nightmares. I sleep good every night and I do not feel groggy in the morning. I wish you the best, follow your heart and trust your gut instincts with this medication, like all medications.

What works for one may not work for another, but it cured me of my insomnia. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back