• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Treatment goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

FauxLiz

Sponsor
I am working with my T on the admission form for an inpatient treatment center. One of the questions that my t wants me to collaborate with him on is "inpatient treatment goals". I am at a loss how do I come up with goals when it will be short period (avg stay 3-4 weeks) and I don't know how to set such short term goals I really don't know what to choose to focus on. So I am here for help.

If you have done inpatient how did you decide what to focus on so you could set treatment goals.

I've never done inpatient treatment, but it seems like the place to start is with "What are your reasons for seeking it?" What outcome would make it seem worthwhile? What do you need that you can't get in your current situation? Even though it's only a short period of time, maybe just start brainstorming with your "wants" and go from there. (I'm glad to hear he's working on the paperwork!)

Okay, here are some that I came up with this evening to start. To big? To much for short inpatient program? Okay?

Find a way to feel not eat, drink or otherwise bury emotions
Learn how to better manage stress and stressful situations
Learn how to forgive so that I can begin to move on.

I think those are good starts. The first two are kind of related, maybe? (Thinking that emotions are stressful and eating etc are some not real great ways to manage the stress.)

Do you have any idea what they typically work on?

I would look up the treatment facility and see what their mandate is. What do they offer? Does it align with what you want to achieve? Why did you pick that particular facility in the first place? They have to offer what you need, no?

@scout86 what they work on depends upon where you are. Stabilization, coping or processing. I am not sure which level I will enter and hopefully I will progress but I think it will be stabilization to start.

That sounds like a pretty good place to start, for sure. I'm sure they'll have ideas you haven't thought of yet, which is the whole point.

I could be off but are you attempting to put together your 3 week treatment plan? Is that the goals you and your therapist are working toward or are they generally wanting to know what areas of your life need the most urgent care?

below could be unrelated...or not..

I attempt to control these types of situations by planning every eventuality even how conversations will start and dialog between people. For me I think it's a control thing...I fear the unknown so I attempt to plan every moment. Not sure if this is the same wavelength but it is how I related to your opening post. I take control of my meetings with my Psychiatrist like he came to see me..he must think I'm a nut.. :lol:

@MrMoonlight thank you but not to that stage yet. Still working on referral/admissions paperwork to see if they will accept me. Or as I call it the am I too screwed up/not screwed up enough paperwork to decide if this is the right level of care for me. I have never been inpatient for psychiatric health issues before so this is different than when I was inpatient for a week for intractable migraine or for two weeks for brain surgery.

@Freida thank you for the encouragement each step on this journey right now feels surreal probably because I am still trying to figure out how to manage the situation of telling work without it costing me my job. Right now I just don’t see that working in any way long term mostly because I don’t know if I can go straight back to work after I am discharged from this type of treatment or if I would even want too.

Just remember if you put vague things like “learn to manage stress” they will see these as things easily accomplished via outpatient therapy or a day program and you may get rejected for not being severe enough.

I am working with my T on the admission form for an inpatient treatment center. One of the questions t...
Whatever was my most pressing matter at that time, I wanted to work on that and have some kind of relief or feel more at ease with it or be in better control of it, if it was something that could be in my control, something to do with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back