• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sexual Assault Trial experiences - what should i expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babybear

New Here
Hey. So I recently filed a police report against my rapist/stalker and I feel that there will be enough evidence to take him to court. It has been over a month since I filed the police report. I know that these things are supposed to take time, but what can I expect from now to the day of the trial? How much information on the status of the case can I legally get? Are we allowed to bring notes to read from if our concentration/memory is terrible? I have heard horror stories of how awful you can be treated on the witness stand, and it would be nice to know what to prepare for. Thank you!

Kudos to you. The numbers are depressing. Go to Rainn.org and you will read some tough stats. It starts with going to the police. Hope you win and don't let the bad stats stop you. Try to improve them.

Hi, I have recently filed a police report against my ex-step dad who molested me. I am currently feeling discouraged. I honestly just want to stop. I have yet to talk with someone who has gone through the process and I would really like to see what it's like as well.

It is comforting knowing I am not alone! I found one person's account of the entire process that I found to be helpful when it comes to not knowing what to expect. I can't post the link but I typed in Sexual Assault Trial Victim Experience and a few articles down there is one from a website called Unsafe Spaces and the title of it is A Victim's Experience of the Criminal Justice System. I personally found it helpful. It seems like these trials revolve around the credibility of both the victim and the suspect. Evidence can make or break a case. Also it seems to be quite a lengthy process. Best of luck to everyone, and even if you don't get the results you desired, just know that you did your very best and that kind of perseverance is very critical to our healing! Not guilty doesn't mean that they've defeated you again. It means "You got lucky, Sicko. Now you at least know what I am capable of."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back