• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Trigger Drugs And Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicwhite

Policy Enforcement
ok, I was on a forum that talked about relapse and psychosis and since I have been dabbling in something that I stopped ten years ago it got me thinking about what I went through in 05 and 08. I have had two psychotic breaks from weed but the second one I had more insight, painful very much so but I stood my ground. I don't smoke weed anymore but I'm doing something even worse yet I show no symptoms of psychosis or any audible voices. I know I should quit but it helps me so much. I have adhd but the docs don't want to prescribe stimulants because I have had psychosis and they think it was due to speed. But it was weed that did it. So I'm thinking of getting a new doctor that will treat what I'm going through so I can get off the street drugs. Please God hear my cry for mercy.

ok, I was on a forum that talked about relapse and psychosis and since I have been dabbling in someth...
Sonic all drugs have a reaction , particularly if you start regular use , the downers like Heroin will give you depression at a different level than say weed , weed can have different reactions for different people but any abuse will have its costs. Speed is deadly for reactions and the after affects or damage can take years to recover from (and im not exaggerating) , i can understand the drs not wanting to give you stimulants - i remember when you first came here and it was very obvious you was still suffering from the after affects of your speed use and that wasnt that long ago. I abused speed heavily for 3yrs many many years ago and it took double that before i actually felt fully ok, even to this day i cannot even take a cold cap as i get very sick. I respect your need for religion but quite frankly if you ask god for help your going to be waiting a long time . You have to pick up the ball and run with it or else nothing will change and more than likely you will become a lot worse - just the fact that you suffered psychosis means in simple terms you have a lot of work to do and nothing will change whilst your using any street drugs

This is a great goal @sonicwhite to get off the street drugs and get legit help for the underlying symptoms. You can do this. If you are willing to get clean, then you absolutely can get the treatment you need for he ADHD.

There are a lot of studies that have been done that really push for proper treatment of ADHD and any other mental health conditions for people using other drugs as a part of getting sober. It's a huge push in addiction medicine right now. It used to be seen that someone had to be clean before the underlying conditions could be treated, but so many studies have been done that show that concurrent treatment of the underlying condition as well as the addiction is just as effective, if not more so.

That means the addiction has to be treated at the same time. That takes hard work and what will be life changing commitments from you to do that work, but this is all very possible.

They have done studies and found meds like Welbutrin and Vyvanse really effective for treating ADHD for people using street drugs, even while the person is still on the street drug, and it can help the person get off the drug they are abusing to treat the underlying ADHD co-currently with treating the addiction.

Your best route for success is likely to be to find an addiction medicine doctor or a doctor who treats people seeking to get off street drugs. They are the most likely doctors to treat the underlying ADHD, before, during, and after you get off the street drugs.

If you go to a doctor just looking for ADHD medication, without addressing fully the addiction and seeking to work with the doctor to get off them, you are likely to set yourself up for failure again one way or another and you will end up worse off than you are now. You will either have to lie to get the stimulants and that will eventually fall apart one way or another, or if you are honest, the doc may be very likely to see you as drug seeking if you seek out getting stimulant medications while also on street drugs, and docs don't like taking risks with patients they see (rightly or wrongly) as drug seeking.

In terms of taking stimulants, it actually doesn't matter too much if it was the weed or the speed that caused the psychosis. The fact that they are worried about psychosis on the stimulants at all shows they are worried you will abuse the stimulants. Stimulants very very rarely cause psychosis at prescribed levels when taken in prescribed fashions (i.e. as whole tablets and not crushed.) Stimulants can cause psychosis when someone abuses them. Amphetamine induced psychosis is so common, a number of research studies have been done on this phenomenon to understand it better. Even if the stimulants would not cause psychosis for you if you abused them, it doesn't matter. It's your behavior and choices to abuse drugs that they are worried about more than even the psychosis. The fact that you are at high risk for becoming addicted to them is the big problem. It's not just your well being on the line, but the doctor's license, so they are highly motivated not to give you stimulants.

Stimulants/amphetamines are medically contraindicated for anyone using street drugs. It can fuel the addiction like gasoline on a grass fire. The street value alone of most stimulants is quite high. The average psychiatrist is very concerned about giving stimulants to someone on street drugs, because they believe it could be sold for more potent drugs, or taken in inhaled forms instead of the form they prescribe it, which would totally change the effect and again, fuel the addiction to the street drugs. If they did agree to it, you will likely have to sign all kinds of contracts and make clear commitments to get clean, and they could be putting their license on the line, as there is a big push by the DEA to lock down on prescribing controlled substances in the US right now.

It's going to be a much easier road to get the ADHD treated by seeking out medical support to deal with the addiction and ADHD together.

It's a good path to seek out this help as soon as possible. Not just think about it, but act. Call an addiction medicine clinic or rehab facility today. Not tomorrow, today. The more you use the street drugs to control the symptoms, the quicker they will stop "working," and they will stop working. They absolutely will stop. Then you will have all the old symptoms back, along with new problems, because you will feel like you need the street drugs just to function. You are also actively damaging your brain as you go, and this will make it much harder to treat any of the underlying symptoms. There are very few old drug addicts for a reason. Most people either get clean or die. But I think you already know using the street drugs isn't a good path.

If you are ready to do the hard work of getting off the street drugs, it will be relatively easy to get help for the ADHD. If you are not ready to deal with the addiction to the street drugs, then ADHD is the least of what you should be concerned about. Brain damage, organ failure, accidental overdose, lifelong depression, ect etc, and of course, death, should all be high on your list of concerns.

You can choose a different path. You will likely need help, and you are good at reaching out for it. If you are willing and ready, God will be there too to help give you the strength and help to continue on the path. You have got to do the work, and I think you can.

I hope you find a good doc asap to help provide support and good solid treatment so you can get better long term treatment, real treatment for the ADHD and PTSD as well.

Sonic, It is strange, because I was noticing a bit more clarity in your writing. So it is clear that you need something. but i have suffered so much at the hands of people with meth induced psychosis, it kills me to see that is what you are doing. Meth makes you psychotic. You don't sleep on it, plus it causes paranoia on it's own. The combination of the two...

Well, if I start thinking about it more than i am, I'll end up triggering myself, but let's just say I suffered at the hands of my mom and her friends meth fueled paranoia and delusions to the point that my mom tried to kill me. She later killed her self after coming down off of meth. The come down is nasty, and causes severe depression.

I know meth kills nurorecepters involving Oxycontin, the love hormone. They can not be replaced. Every time you get high you are stealing from your future spouse by killing a part of yourself that could love her. My mom and all her friends were incapable of love. It was a hard lesson for me to understand that my mom literately shooted, smoked and snorted her way into being unable to love me.

If you are using right now, I probably won't get through to you, but maybe you'll read this when you are clean, and choose never to pick it back up again.

Thanks guys. I know it breaks your heart. I'm trying to find some type of replacement for it. My last pdoc which died diagnosed me adhd but he died and now I'm just stuck with these new docs and I said I am on the edge of doing drugs because I am so unhappy. And that's what happened. Please just pray that God brings me to someone that has a kind h art and will look past my drug addiction and help me.

It would not be kind for them to look past the drug addiction. I know you don't realize this right now, but the addiction is threatening your very life. A kind doctor would seek to help you with the ADHD as a part of helping you quit the street drugs. You gotta be ready to quit. Not look past it.

Last edited:
Addiction is not a disease. It can be managed by ourselves. But there are some situations which were we can't control the urge to do something, that should be treated, else we will lose our self-control. It is not necessary to go to a rehab to get rid of the addiction. Hard work and self-confidence will help you to achieve your goal. I was an addicted to weed and due to some health issues, my doctor advised me to quit it. At first, the withdrawal symptoms defeated me, I lost all my confidence and sought the help of our family therapist in Toronto(Dr. Eliana Cohen). She had given me some tips to improve my confidence and stability. And now, I'm enjoying my sober life. Thus, I proved that It's not a big deal to get rid of any addiction. :)

thus, I proved that It's not a big deal to get rid of any addiction.

She says about a substance no more addictive than bacon, chocolate, or a super luscious Brie. Delicious stuff, that, & hard to quit... But it ain't addictive.

Weed isn't physically addictive. Therefore, yes. It's no big deal to quit it, and all you need to do is put on your big girl panties and put the bon bons down. Impulse control disorder or eating disorder will be a game changer in either, but it still doesn't make something yummy addictive just because its yummy. Physical addiction? That's an entirely different thing than "But I wanna!"

Things that are physically addictive? Little bit bigger of a deal than a case of tantrums. Like seizures and death guaranteed for the worst of them bit bigger.

It is not necessary to go to a rehab to get rid of the addiction. Hard work and self-confidence will help you to achieve your goal.
Just have to say, no, not true. @FridayJones nailed it. My short version of this: there's no way hard work and confidence were going to get my family member off of heroin. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Alcohol addiction, even - it's not just a matter of stopping the drink, when you're drinking in extreme amounts or have for a long time. The delirium tremens (DTs) are a real thing, as are seizures and cardiac arrest.

It is significantly safer for anyone who thinks they have an addiction issue to consult with a medical professional than it is for them to decide they can quit 'cold turkey' with enough confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back