• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile

MyPTSD Pro
I hope I'm posting in the right forum... Didn't see one specifically for triggers. I'm pretty new to the wonderful (yes, sarcasm) world of ptsd. From everything patched together so far, the T's & psychiatrists have been able to feel comfortable concluding that something traumatic happened to me wen I was young. I don't have any memories. My only clue to figuring this out is my recurring nightmare, disturbing dreams in general and what affects my panic attacks.

At first I thought this Wouk be possible because I'm constantly having panic attacks but lately, with the help of my new T, I've been able to make very very slight progress in isolating certain situations.

Which comes to my main issue. I have always been petrified of my ex-brother-in-law. He married my sister when I was 3 so was in my life for quite a while. Now, I've moved to a city where my niece (same sisters daughter) lives with her husband and 2 1/2 kids. Her husband reminds me soooo much of her father. Seeing him gives me panic attacks that take days to get over. I have to have a shot of some sort of alcohol before going into their house and take an extra dose of meds.

But I love my niece and her children. I WANT to spend time with them.

Any ideas on how to protect myself?

Thank you and hope your all having a wonderful day :)

Meet up with them away from her house and husband for now. Arrange to meet up for coffee or at a park or something like that. Invite your niece to come to you instead of going to her.

I believe its possible to work backwards from what triggers you to ascertain aspects of the trauma. In other words, if your brother in law acts as a trigger, maybe there's something suspicious. But I also know how tricky PTSD can be and how one can oh so easily get it wrong and think one thing is true when its not that at all. Maybe its not him, maybe its something else. You can easily draw the wrong conclusions.

Also, my two cents is to forget the alcohol and extra meds to deal with stuff. I doubt that it works the way you think or hope it does, and it's not a good path to be on.

Agree with digger to try to isolate what it is that's triggering and see if there's a way to snip it out of your life on the one hand, and figure out coping strategies on the other.

I should have added that it could be something about him: aftershave or cologne, facial hair, his clothes…some of the most subtle things can be triggers. Work with your T to narrow it down further.

Thank you, all good ideas which I will think about when anxiety has eased. I try to meet without him there but it is sometimes unavoidable. But for now, just fighting for every breath I take

That's a good attitude. And speaking of breath, remember to breathe deeply and a lot. It's more effective at dealing with the anxiety than you might guess.

That's a good attitude. And speaking of breath, remember to breathe deeply and a lot. It's more effective at dealing with the anxiety than you might guess.

Funny you say that... To me, fighting for the next breath is survival... Not much of a choice. Although I guess I could just allow myself to full on hyperventilate... Ok I'll take that compliment :) thanks.

Not hyperventilate. Slow, deep breathing while simultaneously relaxing your muscles. If possible, a quiet, peaceful, safe place is ideal.

There's a quiet place by a creek near where I live that often works, assuming there isn't too much traffic noise and the local teenagers haven't left too much trash there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back