1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Triggered by a Chapter in Textbook

Discussion in 'General' started by Anna5, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anna5

Anna5 Active Member

I have a midtearm coming up for Learning Psychology. The problem I am having is chapter 6: "Operant Punishment". Chapter 1-5 on the test will be pulled from the pool questions used for the quizes. Chapter 6, is not covered by quiz so all the questions on the midterm will be new. I haven't been able to read the chapter. Each time I start reading a get in a paragraph or two, I would start crying. Take a break come back a few more paragraphs, break down crying. I am not sure what to do. I can only take so much reading the word "punishment". The midterm test consist of 75 questions, and I bet majority of the questions will be from Chapter 6. I am worried that I will recieve a low grade on the midterm because I am not able to read the material.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

Hi Anna,

I'm sorry you're having such a ahrd time...I can relate...I took a 20th C. lit class and each of the novels we did, predictably enough, mentioned/dealt with war/trauma on some level...Mrs. Dalloway trigerred me...and I made the mistake of writing the term paper on that novel...let's jsut say it didn't go too well. Ok...I just realized that that's not the most encouraginfg thing...My question would be, did you let your prof know that you might have some issues with the material? It's hard but most profs, in my experience, have been very understanding/supportive.

4. Anna5

Anna5 Active Member

This is the only chapter in the textbook I have a problem with. I did let the professor know. This is the first time a whole chapter in a textbook has triggered me. The midterm is worth 30% of the grade.

5. Anna5

Anna5 Active Member

Once I was able to get my stress down and relax. Also allowed myself to cry. Then after a couple of days I was finally able to read the material as just material. I did get a 84% on my midterm. The highest grade was a 91 and lowest 41. Mean 67.51. It feels great overcoming something and recieving a good grade. (Midterm is only worth 25% of the grade)

6. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

Wow. That's great Anna. Way to go :)

7. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Awesome, Anna! Congratulations. And now you've figured out for yourself how to get through it if you encounter other triggering material. Well done.

8. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

Great Job!!!!

9. Anna5

Anna5 Active Member

Finished the semester

I made it through the semester and ended with a final grade of an "A".

10. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

Awesome. Congrats :)

11. just tina

just tina Active Member

Congrats on the A.

I could not not think of missile trajectories during a few algebra classes, but I managed.

I'm studying horticulture because I haven't had any traumatic experiences with plants.

12. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Just Tina I like your sense of humor!

13. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Yaay, Anna! Great job!