• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Triggering movies and books

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndigoCharm

New Here
I've been really wanting to find out, because I keep stumbling onto them. So far, the most triggering movies (and shows) for me, that I remember, are anything by Tarantino, Twin Peaks, and the Clockwork Orange, and then there was a really good book that nevertheless made me very angry and freaked out, Geek Love. All of these I really love (well, except for Clockwork Orange, I couldn't finish it), but it's best not to watch them when you are particularly triggery.
What are the movies and books you've found triggering?

Anything with sudden bloodshed that is not integral to the story (a la the opening scene to Eastern Promises) - I have trouble with the sight of blood. If I know it's coming I can shut my eyes, but if it comes out of nowhere, I get really triggered. Also anything with dogs snarling and especially biting or attacking people (my T advised me against seeing I Am Legend for this reason, so I didn't). Kind of annoying, as I used to enjoy werewolf movies :rolleyes: I still haven't seen Underworld 3 because I'm afraid of how I might react to the werewolf scenes.

I haven't found any books to be triggering so far, as most of my triggers are very visual.

Any movie or book with a rape triggers me. Unfortunately, I usually don't know ahead of time that it is coming or I would not see the movie at all. Other things surprise me, I had no idea that it would trigger me. Very frustrating trying to avoid these triggers ya know?!?!

Emma

A Clockwork Orange was horribly triggering for me...and that was in my days when I was still in blissful denial about my molestation. I know I would have a total breakdown if I attempted to watch it these days.

Mr and Mrs Smith is also horribly triggering to me. Its not just because of the violence, its because of the extreme violence between two people who are supposedly madly in love with one another. I saw this one in the theatre and almost flipped out...not pretty!

I can not watch any combat movies that take place in the jungle or news casts of the middle east. I hate to see what our troops are going thru. Those are both triggers for me.

Passengers.

This movie is about a plane crash and has to do with its survivors dealing with PTSD. Just seeing movies with people going through triggers and anxiety attacks....just dealing with PTSD in general is enough to trigger me.

Fantastic movie! But it is triggering.

Funny thing though...I've learned so much about PTSD whether it be how people deal with it, triggers, how people react, how the brain works, how it can lead to further problems, etc. And throughout the movie when I would see something, I would say to myself "Yep...symptom." Or "Yep...I know that feeling. That's PTSD".

Anyway....

Manic

Hi IndigoCharm,

I've come to realize that pretty much any violent movies or TV shows are potential triggers for me and therefore I no longer am able to watch them.I've added boxing matches, MMA fights, violent video game and some books to the list of no-no's for me and this has proven to be a successful technique to avoid unnecessary triggers.

Over my lifetime I've learned that violence begets violence and that violence solves
NOTHING and so by avoiding these potential triggers, I am able to lead a much more peaceful and happy :) existence.

Peace and Hope...jefferylee

I

David Peace 1974. The red riding quartet. Yorkshire Gothic. Child murders. the Ripper murders. Horrible. Just absolutely grim.

Clockwork Orange seems to be a bit of a trend...
I went through the fires in Australia, lost a lot of friends to the fire. So now I find anything involving fires, particularly people burning is impossible to watch. I got caught with Angels and Demons, for that reason.

It isn't that I am triggered so much as I simply can not watch anything that is going to scare me in anyway. Any unexpected, scary, violent, peril ridden scene in a movie sends me into uncontrollable sobbing.

I simply do not go to movies anymore. It has been a good 30 years since I have been to see a movie.

I can watch light comedy and the chick flicks as they are called. But the movies have to be light and funny and easy to watch. Old movies are my favorites. I know I can count on them being safe for me to watch.

In a nut shell "DON'T SCARE ME"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back