• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Triggering movies and books

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Deer Hunter was extremely triggering for me, and I don't even have a military background. That movie haunted me for a long, long time.

Surprisingly, I am a very big fan of A Clockwork Orange.. The rape scene is discomforting but not triggering, possibly due to the fact that I saw it and loved it long before my abuse. Burgess hated it and wrote it just to pay some bills but many receive it very well. There are FEW films that I'll walk away from though. I find trigger exposure to help in the long run.

Movies that I felt were somewhat triggering:
- Hunger (A man keeps strangers underground hoping they'll eat each other. My abuser once scared me by saying he'd put me underground and keep me there).
- Black Snake Moan (Not too bad, just sometimes)
- A Time to Kill (Little black girl violently raped, beaten and hung in rural Mississippi. Good movie. Once again makes rage bubble up)

There was another terrible movie with an awful rape scene with a guy who acted like my abuser, it made me vomit. One of the few. Cant remember the name.

TV Shows:
- Law and Order / L&O SVU. (Mostly SVU. Even if it's about childhood abuse etc I still get very wickedly angry out of empathy and it's enough to set me off down a bad thought path. There was one episode of L&O where the case sounded exactly like mine- coercion, debates on age of consent and personal mental maturity, but the court and lawyers mocked her and called her a whore, grilled her on the stand, people wouldnt believe her. I saw red and lost it, I had to turn it off. I wonder how it ended?)

Despite that, I still love Law & Order just... sometimes they hit home pretty hard.

K-Pax.
Memento.
Ordinary People.
ER
Law and Order.
Silence of the Labs.

Ugh. Just listing the titles gives me a headache.

Made for tv movie, 'Cast the First Stone.'

It's about my school, my teacher, and the school board members, of which my father was one. (There is no depiction of me or my fam in the movie, however; I was just chalkdust in that whole thing.)

Finally, tonight, figured out that THIS is the reason I've HATED this tread and avoided it. Keep getting too triggered to post.

Also, the 'Dan Abrahm's Report', which went off the air. My ex-BF was the profiled 'Wanted Predator' one night. I had a freakout when that came in the tv and it triggered me into more constriction and avoidance.

UGH. No wonder I hate tv!!!

Weird but I have a song that triggers me. ET by Katy Perry. When the rap part comes on in the middle, it says "I tell you what to do" and inevitably, I think about being raped. My daughter loves this song so I bear through it for her but when I'm alone, I turn the radio off as soon as I hear the beginning.

I have to say I just had a horrible onset of depression after watching Muriel's wedding. Who would think a chick flick would do it? It was the verbal and mental abuse suffered by the children and wife and how desperately Muriel wanted out of her downtrodden life that did it. Reminded me of my father which set me off.

Stuart a life backwards.

It is a brilliant movie and study about Stuart a violent homeless alcoholic, who is nevertheless a very endearing person.

The movie traces back his life from the present back to his childhood and how he was broken (in so many ways). You can understand exactly how he ended up the way he was. It is a terrible tragic story.

I watched it. It taught me a lot but it is a very triggering movie.

The film that comes to mind right now is Touching the Void, a documentary about two climbers, one of whom falls into a crevasse and is presumed dead by the other. Because my trauma involves being trapped in small spaces, I find it very difficult to watch any scenes where a person is stuck somewhere and can't get out. Ironically, I saw that in the theater on a date, and I didn't want to tell my date that we had to leave because I was having a panic attack, so I sat through the entire thing, feeling trapped and powerless the whole time. I won't ever do that to myself again.

Movies:
Sling blade-the beginning monologue was triggering and I had to watch it TWICE in high school.

The Laramie project- the entire movie was terrible, the part that really got me was the "why didn't I do something" part with the girl and the reporter-had to watch that in high school too.

Girl Interrupted-I hated that scene when Susanna and Lisa go to Daisy's- watched that in high school too.

Dead Poets Society-when Neil shoots himself, and after when the school looks for someone to blame- watched that in high school when I was first diagnosed.

Books:

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman- stupid short story. And I have a university lecture in an hour about it.

Basically anything with self harm, suicide and depression

Naomi Klein - Shock Doctrine... had me back in la la land.

Yeah...as good a book as it is, it's scary sh*t... As for movies, anything with war or lots of shooting/explosions. I was a lit major and you'd be surprised how many books triggered me. granted, I was in a lot worse shape back then, but still, one mention of the word "war," for example, would send me into a dossiciative state. I can no whandle some scenes like that, as long as I know about them ahead of time...Granted, that's not always the case.

There is a movie that I feel like I have to see. I know it'll be very triggering but it's just one of those things.

Last night I went to The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, and struggled watching the forced BJ and rape scenes. Luckily my wife was with me and reached out.

The rape scene in Pulp Fiction is extremely disturbing to me -- have to skip that part whenever it comes up.

Law & Order SVU is also triggering -- can almost never watch an episode, especially if kids are involved. It's one of my wife's favorite shows so I end up spending a lot of time trying to read or ignore the TV.

Talked to my T about this, and he told me to try and stay with the feelings of disgust and aversion a little bit, try to process them. I haven't had too much success at that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back