• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Triggers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand there are triggers that set off things....but mind sharing what kinds of things are considered triggers?

Stress
Pressure

What else?

My huge ones are touch and anger.

If someone touches me I can have a range of reactions based on my perceived immediate context of the touch. I can dissociate (ie lose time), physically jump, milder freak outs.

Can I ask the context of the question

I think that stress and pressure are stressors, not necessarily triggers. Triggers are highly individualized. What is a trigger to me may be a stressor to you and vice versa.

... Even the simplest things like loud music... One time when I told him "I'm leaving tomorrow.." (With which I meant for work, nothing else) had set him off... @digger1 is correct, it can be pretty individual...

Loud noises stress me. When too many people around me, like crowds or grocery stores at busy times or Walmart anytime of the day. I've also seen when I'm angry a little bit at something, it turns in to rage like a match to a can of gas.

What separates a trigger from a stressor is the sensory relation.

A stressor is something general that just causes stress, and if too much builds up it can lead to an outburst.

A trigger is something sensory - touch, taste, smell, hearing, sight, or internal (emotion, memory, etc) that is a reminder of the trauma. It is something the brain has generalized as a source or cause of the trauma, so it instinctively reacts - flooding of emotions/adrenaline - in an attempt to protect itself from something it sees as life threatening.

The reason they are so individualized is because everyone's trauma is different, but the general concept is that triggers are something specific - usually very small, minute, and can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint. Figuring out what your individual triggers are is half the battle of PTSD, because only once you've identified them can you work on the exposure that "fixes" the brain's reaction to them and makes them less threatening.

My triggers are often so 'of the moment' that it takes me days/weeks/months after an "indicent" (full-body hallucination, serious flashback, panic attack in public) to work out what triggered me. It can be anything from a single word or seeing something I regard as phallic (a banana, an icy-pole, etc) to something more obscure that relates to a specific memory (a certain species of tree, the feeling of cotton against my bare skin, a favourite song of my abuser, etc...).

As people before me have already mentioned, triggers are so individualised to a person that it is very hard to pinpoint what a trigger is or means. For me, a trigger is something that links very distinctly to a memory; it can differ depending on my mood or emotional state - for example, if I am feeling pretty stable, one trigger (e.g. a man coming close to me) might trigger just one stand-alone memory. But on a bad day, that same trigger might be part of what I describe as a Trigger Train, where one single trigger might result in a single memory, but then that memory will trigger another memory, which will trigger another memory, etc, and it takes a shitload of effort for me to pull myself back into the present moment rather than living within my past.

I'm finding this really hard to explain, so if you have questions or if something doesn't make sense, please ask me. I'm happy to answer you :)

Like someone already said, triggers are not stressers. Triggers are more specific. For example (this is hypothetical) someone could be triggered by smelling the cologne their rapist was wearing. I am triggered when a roommmate pulls into the driveway because it reminds me of my parents coming home and my having to be afraid of them getting made at me for something. While stressors can be exceptionally hard to deal with for PTSD sufferers, they aren't fun for anyone. Triggers are more like seemingly innocuous things that have been associated with traumatic events, and remind the sufferer of those events in a very real uncontrollable way. Hope this helps clarify things.

I am triggered by certain body sensations. Seasons. Certain types of clothing. Smells. Time of day. Certain professions like doctors or police. Certain phrases people say can be a trigger for me.

I have so many things that trigger me I don't have any rationale for most of them. Some things trigger a PTSD response, others trigger intense suicidal thoughts / feelings, and most of the time I can't differentiate between a PTSD trigger or otherwise. I seem to be very sensitive to a lot of things.

Nature, for example, seems to be a big trigger for me - looking at a sunset, noticing the 'beauty' of nature - I get dissociated, feel hopeless, on edge, and suicidal. A a child, I noticed the 'beauty' of the physical world around me, but it left me confused and bewildered given how nightmarish life itself was (growing up in an alcoholic abusive environment). I could not come to terms with the massive junction between the 'beauty' of the world and the hell I was living. A depressing thought or situation - waves of utter hopelessness take over, and that triggers suicidal ideation and / or dissociation.

Other things are less subtle - emotional intimacy - I have an intense fear (!!!!) of my boundaries being violated and that can trigger flashbacks. And I don't even mean emotional intimacy as in a relationship with a partner (I have avoided those for years and years) - I have massive walls up with everyone, but in my work with my T I am slowly letting them down, and THAT is causing more intense symptoms like flashback and dissociation. That, I can relate to my trauma, as I can best describe the relationship with my mother as one of not only physical abuse, but emotional rape - the latter having the most devastating effect and leaving me far more broken inside and most of my trauma I would say is due to the emotional damage.

Then, there are 'stressors' - sudden loud noises leave me with intense anger (i.e. my dogs suddenly barking at people walking by the house). This is mainly when I'm hang a particularly hard day symptoms wise. But noise itself annoys the hell out of me - I can't stand to listen to the radio, I can't stand non pre-recorded tv shows (due to the sudden and loud nature of tv adverts - they REALLY spark intense anger!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back