1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Trouble in London? Car Bombs Found

Discussion in 'Social' started by Grama-Herc, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Have any of you seen the news?????? There are several car bombs being found. 1 has been defused and the other is being checked out!! What is our world coming to. The 1st car was found by Piccadilly Circus nd was full of explosives nd nails and all kinds of stuff. They are checking out the 2nd car now

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Oh dear. I did not check the news this morning, as we have been busy with family matters. That is truly terrible, but I must admit to feeling relieved, how fortunate for our family! Jim and Evie (batgirl) only returned from London a week ago. I would have been beside myself with worry if this were occurring whilst they were there, not to mention I hate to imagine how Evie would have reacted! I recall there is at least one person on the forum here currently living in London, and I do hope they are safe.

4. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

It hit the news hard but they sounded pretty amature from descriptions. Gas and nails. I think it was blown out of proportion. Sucks yes, but they just sounded like wannabe trouble makers, not real players. Looked like more of a scare tactic from here. The worst weapon is fear, cause it. And from seeing all the people still strolling by it does not look like they even caused that. I think gas can and nails here we would have rolled our eyes at too. Just sounds like idiots and sadly way too many in the world.

5. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Yup. Scares me, cos I was involved in the London Bombs 7th July (Kathy, yep I'm safe!). The last explosion was July 7th London Bombs and nothing's happened since, so it's not that bad. Having said that I've heard of two houses near me were bomb making houses, so I'm not too reassured. Londoner's expect another attack, but somehow you just get on with it.

Can't say I'd like nails exploding into me, but I don't fear a car bomb as much as I do a plane driving into the Canary Wharf. Having said that, it would make me wary of every car I walked by. Inevitably, there will be another attack, a big one, and I am glad that I don't work in the city. But my friends and family do and that worries me.

6. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

Evidently Scottland got hit. Now they are saying that they are at "Critical" alert in London. Very Sad. And ready for the selfish part of me, they are talking having dogs and calling in additional police and the guard for Trains, planes and Mass transit. Guess what I am going to be riding on for two days, bus, train and subway. Lovely. I am planning on possibly leaving earler cause if they are going to hit they are going to do it when its busy. I will be arriving on the 4th of July in Port Authority and then riding the subway to Penn station, then taking a train out of there. All at noon. I can take an earlier bus that will get me there at 8:00 a.m., I might go that route that way I can be out of the city by noon hour. Call me a chicken. BUCK, BUck Buck Buck, yep that is me.

7. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Oh Port! Good Lord Be sure to take lots of "meds" with you. I forgot you were traveling. Dam your timing really sucks doesn't it? Well just take a deep breath and lots of meds and have a nice trip HERC

8. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Very good Lisa, I believe it was you we were concerned for, also Claire, although we've since discovered she doesn't live in London. I doubt anyone fancies the idea of nails exploding into them! Even if the threat is not great, it is still frightening, especially to someone who has experienced prior trauma. We are so fortunate here in Newfoundland, things are so peaceful that we often take it for granted.

9. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

No Kathy, I'm out of there! I'm not in town fortunately. I'm not planning any visits any time soon either! Now I've moved to the seaside I'm far too busy building sand castles! My Dad goes into London regularly though and I wish he didn't. Its weird how we all seem to just get on with the daily rountine. I guess its from all the years of the IRA bombings. Its so senseless and indiscrimiate this kind of thing. They showed the pictures on the news the other day of the people that were killed in the 7/7 bombings in town. They were such a mix. Black, white, young, old, christian, muslim, atheist - all just pawns.

10. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I was fortunate not to know anyone who was killed. And also fortunate not to see the worst of it.

I had to stay over night that day of the 7/7 bombs, because I couldn't get out of the area. The worst thing about it was I was going to get on a bus to go to Russel Square but at the last minute decided to get a taxi. I had an appointment there with a friend at an auctioners. I saw the bus in the distance, the one that was blown up, and lots of people and blue lights but I just thought it was a crash of some sort because I was further down the road outside Starbucks. So we got the taxi to King's Cross which was where we were getting on a train. So I had two close misses where it could have been me.

The traffic was so bad we ended up walking to king's Cross and there was all this commotion it was really confusing I didn't know what was going on and people were wandering around looking lost. Then we went to a pub to find out what the hell it was all about and the news were reporting more bombs than there were and saying it was all a diversion and a massive bomb was coming at 2pm. I freaked out at that point, I couldn't figure out where was safe to be - I knew it was better to be away from crowds of people but people were everywhere and trapped as all transport services were shut down and at King's cross nobody was allowed out of the area. I realised I wasn't going anywhere for the night and everyone was looking for BnBs. All the hotels was fully booked but we found one BnB with a bedroom. On the way my friend walked further in front of me and I immediately thought "oh my god he could get blown up" and I ran and stood next to him and said if anything happens to you I'm going with you. The sirens...they just did not stop not even in the night it was really eery. It was a really horrible sort of slow motion feeling. I was sitting outside of a bar that day and a transit van had been sat there a while so the police sent me running up the road while they got the bomb unit out to blow it up, but it was a false alarm. It was like nowhere was safe.

Why should we feel unsafe and that our lives are in danger? It makes me really angry. All those innocent lives, and the friends and family around them - their lives will never ever be the same. I really don't understand it.

Sorry I don't know why I just typed all that out! I just... ugh. ****ing hell.

11. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Sounds tense Lisa. Glad you got the feelings out of yourself. Also delighted both you and Claire are safe. Very fortunate Evie and myself were not in London during this latest event. If nothing else, it would have frightened Evie tremendously.

Jim.