• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Trust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't. Even my very best of friends I can say I "trust" and I do to a certain extent but fully trust? Never. Or at least not now in my current mental state.

People are too unpredictable, too changing, to easily pushed over the edge, too ready to hurt you, too manipulative, etc. etc. etc.

I wish I could trust. It's one of my biggest dreams in life, but is it a reality? No.

they come down to being a f*cking moron & needing a fix with myself.

Nah, under best of circumstances trust is openness to being vulnerable for the good and bad. It is a see saw. When not much too spare to deal with getting dumped on your ass, the stakes are higher. I hate the isolation, trapped in can I deal with getting knocked down again. Oh and the lessons are exquisite.

@atwistedfate

I'm not sure I can agree with this view of trust at all.

Why do...
That's not what I am saying I have watched people here and seen what is being said and it all sounds like what I have said. My drill sergeant told me the best thing in the world. He said you can go anywhere and you will always be there, your problems your issues they will always be there,so to change that you must change you. I never understood that till recently. I NEVER trusted anyone till I looked at me and saw it wasn't trust it was me. I was the one with the issue not others. Yes people will do things that will make you question your view in them but in the end,it's you that makes the call to trust or not to.

Oh I have issues @Changeling - but I also have levity, and autonomy and know what safe people look like/are now and I try to also be one (not entirely but I aspire). Read back... but I guess I meant to say that with autonomy, other peoples issues are easier to discern, and so are mine. But also ... me first. Just like they say if a plane was having an emergency... I put my own oxygen mask on first these days.

Last edited:
but in the end,it's you that makes the call to trust or not to.
True. But how do you decide how you're going to make the call?

Myself? I guess I try to get to know people. I have a friend I know would do ANYTHING for me, in a pinch, but In know she can't remember tomorrow what she promised today. So I'll trust her with anything, as long as it's RIGHT NOW. Other people? I get to know their limitations as best I can. But, in the end, I sort of assume that they may not come through. Because anybody may not come through, for a whole bunch of reasons. I don't know if that's me or them. I tend to think it's just realistic.

True. But how do you decide how you're going to make the call?

Myself? I guess I try to get to know pe...
I follow my heart. It sounds weird but it works. If your gut or heart say something is off then listen to it. It took me a long time to open up to people and Yes I got burned a few times but I learned to listen to my heart and It has not proven me wrong .......yet

I am setting here thinking, that trust is a lot like love.. definitions depend on the person.. the circumstances, and a whole myriad of human stuff in there. We are not going to get thru this life, even in recovery on our healing journey, without being hurt. Those have also been my best. if not my hardest lessons...
The paradox being, the more you are vulnerable, the less vulnerable you are... meaning.. until I take a leap, or a tiny step in the direction of my relationships and wanting them to grow, I have to be vulnerable... so it is thru getting hurt sometimes that we learn what NOT to trust... that is easier for me somehow.... to see what NOT to trust...I don't ignore red flags anymore. People show you who they are. And as I said, I trust my gut . It has never been wrong, ever.

My trust on other humans is varied. Like many people have said, trust is an earned thing. What helped me is learning how to trust myself. When I could trust myself, I would place more realists exceptions on other people (or none in some cases) and like always keep in mind that people will disappoint in the course of knowing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back