• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Trying to identify my triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm feeling safe in my home environment for the first time ever. I'm speaking to one therapist (phone sessions) that I've been working with for 6 years and I've started seeing a therapist in person; trying to transition. My history hasn't been processed because there hasn't been stability where I can work through stuff. The long term therapist and i have basically been doing crisis management. I can't count the times I lost housing, employment, social support, or were in abusive relationships over the last 6 years.
The new therapist hasn't even scratched the surface, but I feel like I'm understanding what's happening to me more than I ever have.
From 10/2016- present my symptoms have been uncontrollably glaring, due to re traumatization from various sources. Im finally seeing what complex trauma is and how I'm affected.
That being said; I've stabilized significantly in the last month. I do force myself to disassociate at work (I work with trauma victims) to make it through each shift. I am leaving that job because I'm trying to learn how to make myself my priority.
Anyway, there's been a lot of depersonalization at home. And I don't know what triggers it. It takes me a while to notice it. It usually sets in when I look in the mirror and I know it's my reflection, but I can not integrate the feeling that it's me.
I hear it's because I do feel safe enough to start looking at stuff. I have been having lots of new and. Intense feelings.
I guess I'm looking for suggestions on how to track my symptoms to see what my triggers are.

Thanks !

Write it all down in a journal. When it happens, where it happens, what led up to it, how you dealt with it, etc. You'll then be able to start seeing patterns.

I want to do that. Often times, nothing is happening beforehand. That's where I'm lost
...[/QUOTE]
When I am present it is always good time to journal. You can journal about how parts of yourself are quiet and explain how that feels. I use it to communicate with parts that have not revealed them selves to me. I am able to communicate with my inner parts except for two who I am using my journal to try to communicate with. When I start to dissociate my therapist taught me a lot of grounding techniques to use. We can talk about that when you reply to this. Welcome, I'm new also.

I'm feeling safe in my home environment for the first time ever. I'm speaking to one therapist...
Hi I'm new here
I'm feeling safe in my home environment for the first time ever. I'm speaking to one therapist...
Hi I'm new here. My therapist and I are working on triggers . She gave me a safety plan questionnaire sheet which I fill out . I see my therapist three times a week, but on the weekends I have a hard time so when I use the safety plan sheet it helps me to stay grounded. It does not always work, but it's a start and the more I practice using it the better she said it will become. My therapist said we may have to change it from time to time according to new triggers. Here are some of the questions that is on my safety plan sheet I hope that it will help you. List at least three but not limited to three.
1. Warning signs ; thoughts, images moves, situations, behaviors, that a crisis may be developing

2. Internal coping strategy; things I can do to take my mind all of my problems without contacting another person . Ex. Relaxation techniques, physical activity , grounding techniques

3. People and social settings that provides distractions

4. People whom I can ask for help

5. Professionals or agencies I can contact during crisis
I hope this can help a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back