1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Trying to Understand - Think my Mother Had PTSD Growing Up

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by TLACLA, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLACLA

TLACLA New Member

Um. I don't think I have PTSD but I think that my mother may have had it. Growing up my mother would react to certain stimuli that would remind her of her abuse and would have a break down. On more than one occasion I was left alone with her and had to help her come back from that. She was nearly beaten to death by her mother and locked in a closet. If we played hide and seek and I hid in a closet, not understanding at the time. She'd freak out and it was like she was a totally different person. I just want to understand her a little better. She's dead now but I'm hoping that maybe if I can understand her mental illness or whatever I can better understand mine and why I am the way I am. If anyone knows of a site or something could you please contact me? I guess that means leaving a comment. Thanks and sorry this was so rushed.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

Hi,

Thanks for trying to understand the Beast of PTSD. Even for us that have it, it's difficult to understand. My advice would be to read the tons of info here on the site. Read the post's and how it effects out daily life, our thoughts, our reactions....

I am sorry that you had to be witness to PTSD. It must have altered your life too. It always does. we are not the only ones affected, those around us too. So in some way, you to are a victim.....Thank you for your effort to help understanding your mom, even after her death.

Wendy

4. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

Exactly, She Cat hit it right on the head. Feel welcome to view our threads and learn. This is so much learning in this forum. If you are reading to try and understand the way you are, possibly you are a form of a sufferer from the constant exposure, I know i saw that in a thread in here, look around, I cannot remember where I read that. But...welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions if you feel there is some info that is not on the boards yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar